Author Topic: Wood type?  (Read 7731 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Wood type?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 12:02:37 pm »
Have you tried some Old English to see if the scratches blend in ?? You can also get a scratch cover stick at your hardware store that has a wax base to fill in minor nicks !!  Your end table looks like the 60`s- 70`s French Provincial style. Many of those had a rather brown tone fruitwood finish !!

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 12:03:00 pm »
I don't have any tools so I am planning to finish by hand. I found some steel wool but also a solution to strip the surface. But I am afraid to use the solution, what do you think? Is it easy and efficient to use the solution? I am posting the pictures of the products I found in a local hardware store, is this fine or should I use something else?

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
Thanks mart, I found something in my local hardware store for filler, please take a look.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 12:09:01 pm »
Now please guide me through when I can use these following products. Thanks.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 12:14:28 pm »
Have you tried some Old English to see if the scratches blend in ?? You can also get a scratch cover stick at your hardware store that has a wax base to fill in minor nicks !!  Your end table looks like the 60`s- 70`s French Provincial style. Many of those had a rather brown tone fruitwood finish !!

I couldn't find scratch cover sticks when I looked, may be I will try some other place. What do you mean by Old English? Is it some sort of oil like Tung oil?
Is there a site where they give you step by step instructions for some newbie like me? Thanks.

waywardangler

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2011, 12:27:06 pm »
Old English is a liquid furniture polish and scratch cover-up. It should be where the furniture polish is.  The wax sticks are about the size of a crayon and they come in different colors to approximate finish colors. They should be where the refinishing/stain supplies are. Ask your hardware person. They should know if they have these items and where they are in the store.

If you have 60s-70s finish on that end table, more than likely it has some type of opaque, sprayed finish on mediocre wood. Refinishing it may not be prudent. I would not refinish that end table. Too much work for little return.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2011, 12:36:43 pm »
Old English is a liquid furniture polish and scratch cover-up. It should be where the furniture polish is.  The wax sticks are about the size of a crayon and they come in different colors to approximate finish colors. They should be where the refinishing/stain supplies are. Ask your hardware person. They should know if they have these items and where they are in the store.

If you have 60s-70s finish on that end table, more than likely it has some type of opaque, sprayed finish on mediocre wood. Refinishing it may not be prudent. I would not refinish that end table. Too much work for little return.

I agree with you, at the corners it almost looks like a fine layer of "something" is off. In this case, if I want to just spruce it up, what should I do? Can I apply the shellac after mild scrubbing with extra fine steel wool? Can I apply the "wipe on poly" on shellac to give a shiny finish or will it ruin it?

Thanks.

waywardangler

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2011, 01:13:52 pm »
I would start with the least intrusive course of action...Old English wiped on and wiped off. Then see how this table looks. In many cases that is all you need to do except maybe apply a light coat of furniture paste wax. If you have deep scratches, you may want to fill them in with a like colored wax stick first.

If the above does nothing for you, lightly cut the surface sheen with the steel wool and then apply your wipe-on poly. I do not see the need for shellac first. I have never used wipe-on poly but I assume this is put on and not wiped off to get the surface sheen you want? Do not shake up or over stir polyurethane as that causes bubbles in the finish.

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »
I would start with the least intrusive course of action...Old English wiped on and wiped off. Then see how this table looks. In many cases that is all you need to do except maybe apply a light coat of furniture paste wax. If you have deep scratches, you may want to fill them in with a like colored wax stick first.

If the above does nothing for you, lightly cut the surface sheen with the steel wool and then apply your wipe-on poly. I do not see the need for shellac first. I have never used wipe-on poly but I assume this is put on and not wiped off to get the surface sheen you want? Do not shake up or over stir polyurethane as that causes bubbles in the finish.

Thanks a lot, will try this weekend and let you know.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »
I agree with Wayward !! He is exactly right !!  But another course would be a clear acrylic spray if you just want to add shine !!  It is almost foolproof as long as you stay at least a foot away from the table while spraying and keep your hand moving. It dries fast and is quite durable !!  The modern finishes are very difficult to work with and like Wayward said,, there is no guarrantee that the wood is what it appears to be. I stripped a sideboard once that was finished like tiger oak !! I  counted 3 different woods it was made of and not one was oak !!
Oh and I forgot,, you need to take those items back to the hardware store and get a refund. All that cost more than the tables are worth. You have three finish types ???  Can`t use but one !!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:40:06 pm by mart »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 02:37:36 am »
Oh and I forgot,, you need to take those items back to the hardware store and get a refund. All that cost more than the tables are worth. You have three finish types ???  Can`t use but one !!

Mart is right. That can of Varathane, unless the price drastacilly dropped, must have cost you a pretty penny. It is great stuff though, you can brush it on or pour it on, ...... no hits, no runs, no errors, ..... and it is fast drying. It is a commmercial grade "top coat" finish and very durable. I once made my buddy a bar top for his bar, literally, a commercial bar that was bout 16+ feet long, and poured the Varathane on it and brushed it around until it was like 1/16" to 1/32" thick and let it dry.  Iffen you open the can, don't be surprised, it will look like 1% skim milk.

waywardangler

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 06:20:57 am »
If you look at the pics, I think modhar took them at the hardware store. They are all sitting on hardware shelves or hanging pegboard with identical products in the background. I think modhar was getting some opinions before buying.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 07:55:11 am »
Sorry !! Didn`t look that closely !! When she said "guide me through when I can use these products" I was assuming that she had bought them !!

modhar

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
Yup, Waywardangler is right, I haven't purchased them yet, didn't know which I can or cannot use when I went to store, so took pictures to look them up online. I am going to take your advice and look for getting the Old English scratch cover and the just some wax up probably. Thanks everyone.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 02:01:15 am »
Sorry !! Didn`t look that closely !! When she said "guide me through when I can use these products" I was assuming that she had bought them !!

Me either.

Actually I was surprised to see the Varathane, I was thinking that Min-Wax had bought them out because the Lowe's store in my area quit selling the Varathane brand and replaced it with the Min-Wax's "Polycrylic".