Author Topic: A really old bottle?  (Read 2608 times)

azzaro

• View Profile
A really old bottle?
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:31:40 pm »
Hiya everybody, Happy 4th to all..
Picked up this at an antique shop for $5. Guy there told me it's from the early 1900s..it sure looks old (style)..I did some research on google and not able to find anything like it..HELP..!!!..lol!. It is 4 in by 1.75 in. There is some markings on the bottom but since it's a clear bottle, cannot read it.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: A really old bottle?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:18:44 pm »
     How far up the side does the seam go, to the top of the bottle, or does it stop at the rim of the top?  Are there any air bubbles or flaws inside the glass.

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:42:27 pm »
The seam goes all the way upto the neck on both sides. No bubbles that I can see. I just took out my suoer magnifying glass, It has the letters U, C and the number 8 on it on the bottom. The cap is quite peculiar. It has a twist-tie kind of thing. It was sitting in the shop along with other old mini-alcohol bottles from the 50s and 60s but the guy said this was from the 1900s.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:45:01 pm by azzaro »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:44:27 pm »
Basically the seam can tell a bit about the age of the bottle, pre 1900's they applied the tip to the top of the bottle so the seam will stop at the top of the neck, but not through the tip. and sometimes in the earlier bottles it is more common to have air bubbles and flaws.   The top is quite unique a sort of Sealing top, I didn't see anything in my first book I looked through did not have anything like it.  If we can get a good close op pic of the Tip of the bottle and a shot of the sealing top open that might help a bit.  Some how I think it could be a early Root beer or soda bottle of some sort, but I will have to browse my books a bit more.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:05:44 am »
Interesting info, there Ironlord, I never knew that about the seam ... I'll have to closely inspect my collection ... Did the same apply to small jars?

I don't really know what root beer is, but it is quite a small bottle. Interesting cap!

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 06:00:42 am »
Mario, root beer is a dark, carbonated beverage very much like cream soda. Not sure if the UK has anything like root beer but some brand names here are Dad's, Graf's, A&W, Frostie, and smaller production, higher quality brews. There is no alcohol in root beer.

Bottles that do not have a seam going to the top have what are called "applied tops".  Sometimes the top seam is very faint or even ground so it appears there is an applied top when in fact there isn't. I would be surprised that the bottle with that wire bail closure has an applied top. That closure fitting would need to be uniform to seal and I think that is a machine made bottle all the way to the top. I do not think it was for root beer or soda.  This bottle would have had a paper label which is long gone. I suspect this was a food product flask for oil or something. The top closure looks familiar and may be more recent than suspected.

Could the bottom markings be U G B? [United Glass Bottle Manufacturers, Inc. (large conglomerate of many glass factories in the United Kingdom). Mark dates from 1913 to about 1968.]  The "8" on the bottom looks like a "B" but the other letters are too faint in the pics.

The top sealing mechanism is called Kork-N-Seal. "The Kork-N-Seal cap was in use from at least 1911 to at least the 1960s, though could still be in use today (IGCo. 1911; Jones & Sullivan 1989).  Based on empirical observations, the popular period for this closure - and the most likely date range for a bottle with it - was from the mid 1910s to the 1940s.  Bottles utilizing this closure are, in the experience of the website author, always machine-made, though with an origin no later than 1911, mouth-blown examples are possible."  http://bottleinfo.historicbottles.com/closures.htm#Lightning  "This closure/finish type has been observed on medicine and pharmaceutical bottles, narrow to moderately wide mouth food bottles (like sauces), household bottles (polish, cleaners), liquor and wine bottles, and to a limited degree carbonated beverages - soda and beer."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:01:28 am by waywardangler »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 07:03:29 am »
I have a similar bottle. I found it buried in the wall at my old house built around 1910. I don't have any info on it - sorry.  I spent sometime researching awhile back.  Here is a thread with a pic posted. 

http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php/topic,7694.msg32715.html#msg32715

"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:07:55 am »
Oceans, read my last paragraph in my above post. Your Kork-N-Seal cap bottle was most likely a sauce bottle judging by its shape and dates from 1911 at the earliest.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 07:35:05 am »
Thanks Wayward!  Great research.  It was found in a wall under the attic area. In fact (now that I think of it), it was right under some old shelves were I imagined that canned goods were stored during the winter so it makes sense.  Probably fell through the wall.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »
Wow..you guys are great..great replies and truly informative posts. Yeah..could be UGB..I'll take another look later..and..Yeah..i t's most prob a medicine bottle..I am sure..not a mini-booze bottle..don't think they made them this mini size back in the 1900s!..lol!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:59:50 pm by azzaro »

azzaro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 07:58:03 pm »
It IS U.G.B and also U 276 is above that..so I am gonna put it on eBay..just for fun..starting bid..$15..is that too high?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 09:08:56 pm »
    I my opinon I think it may be a bit high, unless that is with free shipping.   I have not looked on ebay but I would first look at what bottles have sold for first.  Dont stop at looking at what is available, but go to the completed listing and look around.  Then weigh that against what you have paid for the item, hopefully you will find a starting point that will make you a few bucks if it fails to get more then one or even two bids.   For example, after looking on Ebay I see that a average price is selling around $10.00 with 9.00 Shipping and I paid $5.00 for it, I would start my price $8.00 + $9.00 shipping, or $17.00 with free shipping.  When I relist I will drop my price $1.00 until it won't make me a profit.   If you get lucking and have several bids you win big, if one bids, you win just enough, and if not move on to a better item.