Author Topic: Another old rocking chair  (Read 1328 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Another old rocking chair
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:18 am »
I'm down to next to last piece of furniture I stored in a storage shed.  I haven't a clue as to the age, tho I think it may have come from the same time period, or a little later, as the ladder back rocker I posted a few days ago.  The structure of the chair is very good, tight and sound.  The left arm rest has problems that five dollars at Home Depot and two or three hours work would fix up.

Mu question:  Is this worth fixing up?  I don't have room to use it as house furniture as we are trying to reduce inventory and move back to town.  Would I be better off taking it to the Thrift Store and let someone buy it who's looking for a project for the long winter nights ahead.  What value, if any, does it have?  Thanks for all opinions.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Another old rocking chair
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:19:20 am »
Its similar in style to the pressed back in the other thread although I think a bit later in time !! Probably 30`s or 40`s !! Value is in the $50. range more or less so if it were me and I didn`t want to use it,, try listing it on Craigslist !! Someone might want to refurbish it !!  Doesn`t look like it would take much !! You could do the work and sell it but price would not change much !!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:03:40 pm by mart »

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:19:54 am »
I saw a similar pressed back rocker, with a leather seat instead, in great shape for $20 at a sale this morning (Wisconsin). Depending on repairs and what part of the country you are in, you should be able to come up with a price estimate.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 12:49:18 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  That was kinda my thinking also.  It' a bit newer than I thought.  I may ask some of my friends who like antiques if they may want it.  I'm not interested in making money on it, just would like to see it get a good home.