Author Topic: A Warning... Don't be dumb like me :(  (Read 6308 times)

Oceans64

• View Profile
A Warning... Don't be dumb like me :(
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:07:29 pm »
A few days ago, I discovered my email account was hijacked.  I was completely locked out all info changed etc.  While trying to recover it, it dawned on me that I have emails from ebay and paypal in my account....  lots of them.  I went to paypal (which had the same PW as my email) and sure enough, they got in there and were trying to transfer $$ (actually pounds as they were in London). I cancelled those transactions, reported to PP... Oddly enough they never changed my PP info or password...

I went to my eBay account which had a different PW but since they had control of my email, they were able to change the PW there too.  In 5 short days, they had bought 34 cell phones and I have 161 messages from ticked off UK sellers - and I mean really mad in some cases.  :o  The hacker kept insisting they couldn't use the PayPal button and needed the sellers PP account name/email.  Most all sellers provided the info. Then the hackers would insist they had already paid.  These conversations all happened in my eBay messaging. They tried to buy a couple of phones with my PP but I have it attached to a checking account with a debit card and there is ALWAYS less than $5 in that account and ALWAYS less than $5 in my PP.

Somehow tho, I gather they were able to hack into other PP accounts (probably with the emails they were asking for) and pay for at least 4 phones. A total of about 1,600 pounds....However, the status in PP was listed as "pending".  The sellers mailed the phones anyway (while still in pending mode) then the transactions were cancelled...  Quite the scheme....

Thankfully, a couple of sellers had reported my account for non payment (after 3 days or so :o) and eBay had locked my account due to the sellers reports and the suspicious activity.  Ebay assured me no one lost $$ and they would send an email to all the sellers explaining the situation. Somehow, I think the sellers will lose tho.  They should have never mailed the phones until funds were released from PP.

Anyway, what a mess!! But my real point here is: Don't be dumb like me!  Keep your PWs different!! Also, back up your contacts.  I think I've lost all mine since I hadn't done this for a very long time :'(  But the biggest lesson I have learned is that if buyers are having trouble with PP, don't send them your info directly...  Work with PP and eBay to resolve.  The more of a hurry the buyer is in (in this case thief) the redder the flags should be!!!

And finally, for the very few of you that I have my personal email....

No.....
I have not taken a short vacation to London where I was mugged at knife point and all my $$ and ID's stolen.
Nor am I being held hostage by the hotel manager until I pay my bill....and most importantly...
I DO NOT need you to wire me $$$ which I will repay once I am safely home!!

and just in case....

Nor am I an heir to ANY vast fortune that I can share with you if only you send me $$ so I can travel to my homeland in order to claim my money, jewels, and/or take my rightful place as ruler of said nation which happens to have large deposits of oil, diamonds, gold or any other riches  ::)

Stay safe out there!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

Re: A Warning... Don't be dumb like me :(
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:20:41 pm »
Sorry to hear of your predicament, oceans. You don't mention it but are you running a firewall and internet security and if so what are/is the brand name?

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:32:53 pm »
I use Norton and MS Security Essentials....  I don't think I have a firewall (??)
I do everything on my laptop connected wirelessly but we are security encrypted....

I have NO idea how this happened but everything is they hacked (including my email) was web based.  It was just a matter of breaking my PW I guess. 

My PW did have caps and Capitals alpha and some numeric but is was not random letters... They are all very random now :)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:54:38 pm »
Hmmm, I also have Norton but with firewall and anti-virus and both are on. So far, so good. I have used other firewall/virus software in the past with great success. Some was easier to understand than others. I always run a firewall as I have had attempts to hack in. The recent forum problem, Norton was telling me of a high security malicious attack by the name of "Blackhole Toolkit Website 5" every time I clicked on something inside the forum. Norton always blocked it.

I always use different passwords and usually change them every so often.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:32:01 pm »
Well I've learned my lesson on PWs for sure. I'll have to read up on firewalls tho I don't think it would have made a difference in this case. They didn't hack the laptop. just my on-line accounts.  TBH, I blamed hotmail at first but these folks were obviously focused on eBay and PP so I'm not really sure where the problem started.

Also, I should be clear...  I don't think my issue had anything to do with the forum  ;D I know you weren't saying it was either but I don't want anyone to worry or get the wrong idea...

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:48:59 pm »
No, I have no issues with the forum but I do have issues with spammers on the forum or anywhere, actually. So, if I understand you correctly, oceans, the hackers got into your hotmail account when you were not even logged on and somehow accessed your account and then got your passwords for eBay and PP? Ebay and PP both have security questions if passwords are forgotten and they have to be answered correctly in order to proceed. Are you positive you were not Phished and clicked on some link inside your hotmail account? I have been getting phishing emails on my home email account regularly and I always forward them to my provider. I get one or more a week and they do look official but my name is never used, they say it is for account maintenance, and a link is embedded in the email. I would guess if I click on the link it would take me to another official looking site where they would ask for passwords, etc. to update my account.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »
For sure I wasn't Phished.  Or as sure as I can be.  I dont click on links in my emails...  I don't even open the links for jokes my Dad sends me.  My only bill that comes to email is my cell and I don't click on that either.  I go directly to the site. 

However....  Back 6 months ago when I was selling a lot on ebay, I may have clicked on a link for that (ie... respond now for emails or a go to your item). That's the only link I can think of...  I don't use that account for business or get a lot of spam. Just family, friends, a few newsletters and a my cell phone.

I'm a little suspicious of eBay getting hacked but again my mail and ebay were 2 different PW's.  I have seen this scam (was a victim of it) before.  Another sellers account was hacked, a phoney listing was made, I wired the $$, and of course never got the item.  I lost $800 on that one.  That was 10 years ago...

Not really sure what happened here Wayward...  Hotmail is easy to blame as they get hacked all the time  ::)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 01:13:16 pm »
Wayward - You are right in that I do click on one set of links in my email on a regular basis.  I have some saved searches in eBay that I get notices on about 1-2X a week. Forgot all about 'em until I got one this AM with my new email.  I routinely click on those.  Not sure how clicking on those would have allowed the hijack since they are pretty specific.   Just a thought............ ??? 

regularjoe2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 03:48:02 pm »
Thanks for your postings , Oceans64 .

My little tip would be to use pw's that are 12 chars. long (it's tougher to hack them) .

Glad you're back up , with your back up !

:)

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »
Well guess what!!!  They appear to have caught the guy who hacked my account.  Way to go London police!!  One of the victims reported and they have one of the 2 in custody. Think the other posted bail  ;D  ;D  ;D

:P to you eBay hackers!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 03:43:47 pm »
Glad they caught them !! How did you find out about it ??

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:06:00 pm »
The Police contacted me for more info...  Needless to say I am MORE than happy to help  ;D  ;D  ;D

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 12:26:05 am »
Thanks for your postings , Oceans64 .

My little tip would be to use pw's that are 12 chars. long (it's tougher to hack them) .

Glad you're back up , with your back up !

:)

Apparently best joke at the Edinburgh Fringe this year ...

When asked to choose a password with at least eight characters ... he decided on 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs'  ;D

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 05:44:32 pm »
That's a cute 1 , Mariok54 !

:D :D :) :D :D
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:21 am »
Interesting. This morning I found two $100 charges for AT&T Go Phones that I never ordered.
These were ordered at 6am California time last Friday. I would have remembered that! I spent quite a while on the phone and finally had to let my hubby finish up so that I wouldn't be late to work. We got it straightened out and the funds are being credited back, but I have to spend my lunch hour picking up a temporary ATM card.
Antiqueaholic in recovery