Author Topic: Silver signet ring. Please help to date.  (Read 1946 times)

Murena

• View Profile
Silver signet ring. Please help to date.
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:29:02 am »
Hello,
I would like to present my find. It is silver ring with Coat of Arms and the Fleur-De-Lis on sides of the ring. There is no Hallmark or purity test. In my opinion it is signet ring for little finger. Please, help me to define the period/century of this ring.
Thank you in advance.
Regards

waywardangler

Re: Silver signet ring. Please help to date.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:46:02 am »
You sure do take GREAT close-up pics!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:35 pm »
It looks European, the lion could indicate British or the Fleur de Lis could indicate French. It looks from the bits of dirt like you found this with a metal detector? What country/region was this found in? That could be a good clue. It is VERY COOL, but with no hallmark or indication of the metal it is hard to say if it is antique or modern. The wear on the piece is making me lean cautiously towards antique and even more so if you found it in the ground. If so, was this a historic site? The place where it was found could really help to ID it.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:11:38 pm »
Thanks for posting your item .... my guess is that your item is a sand-cast one , metal unknown .

One more guess is that the ring may have been cracked while attempting to use a sizing mandrel .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Murena

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:29:59 am »
Thanks for answers.
This ring I found in Lithuania near border of Kaliningrad enclave (were Prussia) with metal detector on around 10 inches depth. The site of find is way where Napoleonic army came back after Russian company in 1812. Of course it is not historical site but here many find objects which are related with Napoleonic army.  On the same site also there were fights during WWI and for this reason it is difficult to define period of this ring.

The metal of ring has been checked up, and I have an acknowledgement that silver. The ring was collected by soldering separate parts and it is no cracked. We can see only the destroyed place of soldering.

Thank you.
Regards

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:20:22 am »
Murena, your pics rock! What type of camera/lens are you using?

Murena

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:00:24 pm »
Hello,
I am using CANON IXUS 850 IS.
Regards

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:09:50 pm »
Hi Murena,

They do still make very similar 'heraldic' rings nowadays, but looking at the apparent wear on yours, I would be happy to bet that it has some age. It could easily be 19th Century. I'm trying to pin down that 'crest' but it is such a common combination it won't be easy!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:29:06 pm by mariok54 »