Author Topic: Hoard of Victorian Era Millinery Feathers  (Read 10186 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Hoard of Victorian Era Millinery Feathers
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 09:38:32 pm »
I threw out all the plastic and teflon in my kitchen. Went to good ol' cast iron and glass. They do still have feathers available in craft stores, but they are not like this, and what you can get is quite limited.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 10:01:26 pm »
Very nice assortment , talesofthe7c's !

I hope you get to fly wit' chore feathers & not get the bird (on the items in question) !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 07:21:25 am »
Synthetics, though, don't have the same "feel" -- ask any woman about the difference in the "feel" of a real diamond ring and a cubic zirconia ring.

It's not difficult to gather real feathers.  I have a pretty competitive bird feeder, I guess, because I find feathers scattered around my yard all the time (collecting songbird feathers might still be illegal in your area, especially if one is your state bird).  My dad keeps chickens who lose feathers to each other and foxes (and lose more than feathers to the foxes!).  If you live in the country, you'll find quail and pheasant feathers.  If you have a peacock howling around the neighborhood, keep an eye out for their shed feathers.

Gathering feathers doesn't have to be cruel -- you just have to be willing to work with what nature is willing to give up.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 10:30:45 am »
Good news, Fish and Wildlife has given me the go-ahead:

Claire: You can legally possess and display the hats and/or hat-making supplies. Iwould suggest in the literature you provide about their history (andconservation information about the birds) that you also mention these arepre-Act items (the birds were taken out of the wild prior to protectionunder the Migratory Bird Treaty Act or "MBTA"). The Act was first signedin 1918. There have been several amendments (the last adding all raptorsin 1972) which included different groups of birds. If these items dateback to the 1800's they are clearly pre-Act, regardless of when the birdscame under protection. You can possess or donate them, but not sell, tradeor barter them; or offer to sell trade or barter them. If you cannot work this information into your re-enactments, at least beprepared to answer the questions that may come up regarding their origin. Below is the citation in our Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21, whichstates that you can possess birds or parts which were acquired prior toprotection under the MBTA. If you would like further information regardingthe Migratory Bird Treaty Act and permits required to possess them, you canvisit our website http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/mbpermits.html Here is the section from the regulations which clarify possession ofpre-Act birds or specimens/parts: § 21.2 Scope of regulations.(a) Migratory birds, their parts,nests, or eggs, lawfully acquired priorto the effective date of Federal protectionunder the Migratory Bird TreatyAct (16 U.S.C. 703–712) may be possessedor transported without a permit, butmay not be imported, exported, purchased,sold, bartered, or offered forpurchase, sale or barter, and all shipmentsof such birds must be marked asprovided by part 14 of this subchapter:Provide, no exemption from any statuteor regulation shall accrue to any offspringof such migratory birds. Tami Tate-HallMigratory Bird Permit OfficePortland, Oregon

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 11:46:17 am »
Great news, Tales!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 11:58:17 am »
Thanks for posting that , talesof !

I learned from you today !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 05:29:12 pm »
Wonderful!!!  I look forward to seeing your creations!

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 12:54:55 pm »
I learned two things today! I better quit while I'm ahead!
Thanks Tales, That's great.

My wife used to own a vintage Clothing store in Chicago (back when we were young.. sigh)
She used to get people bringing her all sorts of hats and millinery.. she loved it. And she was very fair in the prices she gave them. It was always half of what she knew it was worth.. the people were almost universally shocked and happy to take the offer.

Actually, that store is what spawned antique-shop.com... :)
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 12:07:11 am »
I learned a lot from this too, I'll have some pictures when we do the Old Sacramento event. I think the lady who is going with me and I will take sides- One lady believes in saving birds, the other just believes in beautiful hats! Should be a fun way to do the educational angle in character. 

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 10:52:40 am »
Yesterday I picked up a nice looking display case on Craigslist. It needed a couple of the  legs reset, so I got a pretty good price on it. Here it is with a sampling of the millinery feathers in it. I've got white and black velvet so that I can change the background color inside the case. The red feathers don't show up well against this background, so I may switch to white, or try half white half black and see if that looks OK or if it looks goofy. I've also included a picture of the sign I will put up. I still need to locate a Victorian-looking frame for this and clamp it to the case. More as it develops.

waywardangler

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:12 am »
Geez, that is a nice display and display table, Tales. You sure do find some nice items on your craigslist. A little Old English on the wood and it should sparkle.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2011, 11:24:39 am »
Thanks, it is not old or terribly well made. The bottom of the case is plywood and the legs were pulling loose and one was off completely when I picked it up yesterday. I paid $40 for it. Table top display cases are going for about $100+ on C-list here, so I was OK with the price. The seller  was asking for $90, but thought this was an antique because it had come from her "auntie" who apparently passed away. I pointed out all the modern hardware, plywood and Phillips head screws, plus the fact that I would need to do the work on it and negotiated it down to $40. Just this once, I wasn't in the market for an antique, just a deal. I re-glued the legs and reset the wood screws that attach the legs, to get it ready for next month, but ultimately I would like to replace the bottom and set it up with hardware so that the legs can be removed to transport and store it. I'll try the Old English and see if I can reduce the look of some of the scratches. Good idea.

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2011, 06:03:51 pm »
Very interesting.  fantastic items for display

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2011, 06:07:53 pm »
Great Good and Good work Tales...  ;D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 09:00:23 pm »
Here's the finished display case. The sign and side brackets are mounted on a slide mount so that the whole upper section can be removed for storage and while being transported.