Author Topic: Old lamp shade  (Read 2547 times)

car3less

• View Profile
    • Weird pictures
Old lamp shade
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:12:06 pm »
I bought it from an art market a few weeks ago. It belonged to an important Romanian politician, also the governor of National Bank of Romania, Constantin Angelescu who died in 1948. It seems he was very passionate about collecting art of all kinds and was travelling a lot to France and United States.

It is made of brass and its dimensions are:  H= 45cm,  Diam = max18cm. As detail, there are 45 medallions with various figures...

For me, a person not too much in contact with art looks like a Moroccan/Persian handmade lamp shade or possibly an incense burner -  maybe from the beginning of the 20st century. But I am not very sure of anything...

Any ideas that could help me?  Thank you!!!

Irina
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:46:58 pm by car3less »
"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections..."

flablitz

• View Profile
Re: Old lamp shade
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:17:45 pm »
Im sorry, I dont know much about it. I commented just to say that it is a quite interesting and actually pretty cool piece. Good luck with finding some info on it, people here are very helpful and Im sure will help you figure out something about it.

car3less

• View Profile
    • Weird pictures
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:40:35 pm »
thank you  ::)
"Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections..."

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:17:02 am »
It seems to be a well made piece, not the cheap touristy item. Here is a Persian incense burner, which shares some of the same characteristics as yours.

http://www.theoldbazaar.com/items/496706/en2store.html

Here is another one, but from India, that went to Auction, but 6' high!. However, look at the piercing and the design.

http://www.burchardgalleries.com/auctions/2007/may2007/full_catalog_page7.htm
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 12:22:46 am by mariok54 »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:37:30 am »
Is anything on the bottom ?? Does the interior smell as if it had incense burned in it !!  Or is there blackening from the incense inside ??

car3less

• View Profile
    • Weird pictures
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:01:43 am »
it has nothing on the bottom (see picture attached)... and yes, the interior has the smell and the black layer from incense...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:48:35 am »
You mean the bottom is completely open as if to be placed over something ??  If that is the case there may have been a small tray or similar that it sat on and the incense was lit and your item was placed over it ! Like a diffuser of sorts !!

car3less

• View Profile
    • Weird pictures
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 11:10:17 am »
yes... something like that...  ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:40 pm »
Thats interesting !! Have not seen one like that before !! But it would make more sense as an incense burner rather than lampshade. Guess it would fit over a candle but would not give much light !!  Did you question the person you purchased it from as to what it was ??