Author Topic: Estimate age of art glass  (Read 2524 times)

jondar

• View Profile
Estimate age of art glass
« on: July 17, 2011, 06:38:30 am »
The posting about Overshoot glass jarred my memory about a small glass vase which has sat on one of the end tables for about twenty-five years.  An aged couple I knew would decide to thin out their collection every few months and would always let me know so I could buy something.  I bought several things over the period of four or five years.  I neglected to ask them about the age of this vase or where it came from.  Its very heavy for its size.  Only clue I have as to age is that the gilt which was on the top of the scallops at the top of the vase has now only scant remains here and there. Very very few. The overlay design (ivy?) under a strong lens appears to be composed of tiny beads of glass.  Any opinions as to the age of this would be appreciated.

mariok54

• View Profile
Re: Estimate age of art glass
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 07:58:30 am »
Interesting doily ...   ;)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 08:57:15 am »
Very Stunning piece of Victorian Cased Glass.  When looking at the base of your item, I can see it is what is called Cased Glass.  Another popular technique used in the Victorian Era.  Basically Blown in multiple layer of Colors, In this case first the milk Glass then the pink.  I have a piece of Cased Glass by no means as fancy.  It would also appear to be a overshot design if it is made of tiny pieces of glass.  Under the lens does it look like it is clear Glass?  Overall I would say you have a Overshot Cased Glass item, Probably also done by Boston and Sandwich in the late 1800's  I would have to look around to verify anything but what a wonderful piece.  I included a couple of pics of my Cased Glass item, note you can always tell by the bottom

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:47:32 am »
Beautiful piece of Victorian art glass But not Overshot glass  This is a very diffrent technique called Coralene glass Which was done by a decoration on the surface made of tiny glass beads or balls. These designs were carefully placed and look like nonpareils used for decorating cakes and cookies and attached to the glass using a special enamel This type of decoration became popular in Victorian art glass.  Overshot glass is made by rolling a partially or fully inflated gob of hot glass on finely ground shards of glass that had been placed on a steel plate called a marver. The gob was then lightly reheated to remove the sharp edges of the ground glass. Such companies as Mount Washington in Massachusetts and Handel Glass in Connecticut , Thomas Webb Glass company in England also created coralene glass. Fenton  produced coralene glass but Their coralene designs usually consisted of flowers and other small designs like the rose on  ruffled edged vase. Nippon uses flower designs also.  Your  piece is NOT Fenton or Nippon. It appears to be Coralene vase, satinized peach blow coloration with inner milk white casing,  This piece is worth having a hands on appraisal by a glass expert I have only seen one other piece like yours with the beautifully applied amber feet and it was valued at over $1,188.00 and is in the Milan historical museum.  What else did you purchase from this couple!!!!  :)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 12:11:20 pm by wendy177 »

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:36:33 pm »
Thanks very much for the comebacks.  From your opinions I'll guess the age somewhere between 1880&the turn of the century.

Wendy:   I bought one or two items each time I visited the old couple.  Some of the things I gave to my grown kids when they moved into their own places.  What I have left now is what I assume to be a covered glass candy container that someone told me the pattern of which I've forgotten and a piece of Bavarian china.  I've loaned my camera for the rest of the weekend butwill try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them.    Jon

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 10:42:07 am »
I took a picture of the two other remaining items I have.  One, a covered candy "bowl" (that's what we've been using it for) and a smaller (8"X5") china dish, lots of gilt around the inside, and a portrait of a young lady in the middle inside.  On the back is the "three tiered crown" with a tiny cross on top, beneath that is marked "Bavaria" and beneath that is Germany, beneath that are the numerals 33.  I assume since it is in English it was made for export.  The numerals could be the year made or the model number.  This is, of course, speculation on my part.  The candy bowl someone told me it is Imperial tho disn't say the pattern number.

Other things I bought from the aged couple were a small crystal cup, red and clear with the inscription Worlds Fair, St. Louis, 1904, the date could have been different but that's close.  Several cobalt blue cups and saucers, Two pincushions, one of wood, carved into the shape of the "needle toed" shoes (about 5") used around the turn of the century, stained black and tan and really nice workmanship.  The other was of metal. silver in finish, and also old style of shoe. There may have been more but that's all I remember.