Author Topic: Need help identifying these glasswares.  (Read 2903 times)

lefebvr

• View Profile
Need help identifying these glasswares.
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:06:57 am »
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum and I'm interested in finding out the value, if there's any, and how old these glass wares are.  I've attached a picture.  I have about 10 of each item you see in the photo. 

Back in 1986 I purchased a house from an older lady that has lived there for more than 40 years.  Sometime after I purchased the house, I cleaned the basement and found these in a corner all wrapped up and looked like they had never been touched.  At first, I thought they look really nice and 'art deco-ey' and naturally, I saved them.  Recently, I've rediscovered them and since I never used them, and considering how old they are, I'd like to know if they're worth keeping or selling.  Any information and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Need help identifying these glasswares.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:21:08 am »
    Many makers of the Bubble Pattern, Anchor and Indiana had a line of Bubble pattern in the depression Era, but these are not either of them.  I have seen this bubble pattern before but have not made out who the maker is.  As for date I think you are looking at much newer version.  The color is kinda of a sapphire Blue but not quite, would say these are made around the 70's, possible 60's.  ad for keeping or selling well the overall value is not that great, most bubble patterns I have had hard hard press to sell, need to find someone who wishes to complete a set, not really a collector market item.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 12:09:35 pm »
In the late 60`s and 70`s many items like this were given as premiums in oatmeal, with tea, at gas stations ect. By having 10 of each item it would be unlikely that they were purchased as thats more than a normal set would be !!  I would guess that the lady accumulated these by buying the items they were given free with and just wrapped them and packed them away for future use. My mother used to do the same thing with premium items and gave them to family members when they married to help getting the items need for household use !!  Not everyone had a lot of money back then !! Perhaps this lady did the same !!

lefebvr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 01:59:11 pm »
Thanks for your input but, I believe the quality of this glass ware is quite a bit above what they used to hand out as a premium for shoppers. 

lefebvr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:04:30 pm »
Ironlord1963,

In reviewing the bubble pattern by the various manufacturers, it seems, as if, those patterns have the bubbles on the exterior surface of the glass, whereas this pattern has the bubbles on the interior surface in a more symmetrical pattern.  I've not seen any depression glass that resembles this pattern in the style and the style of these pieces is definitely different from the depression glass I've seen all over the web. 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 05:35:15 pm »
I have found this add but don't get excited yet   ;)  http://www.goantiques.com/detail,raindrops-depression-glass,2138094.html  as you can see this is your set but it is listed wrong as this is NOT Raindrops pattern by Federal glass >  This is the correct pattern by Federal Glass  http://cgi.ebay.com/Green-Depression-Federal-Raindrops-4-Cups-6-Saucers-/390148579448  if you enlarge these photos you can see the diffrence. My next find was Cambridge #3123 Aero Optic pattern although this has the raised dots on the interior of the glass it also is not your pattern http://www.clicksnipwow.com/chataboutdg/img13250.search.htm  At last  I did find your maker > Hazel -Atlas , pattern name >Skol dots  & color name >  Capri   this was produced around the 1960s http://shop.vintagefrompaul.com/product.sc?productId=1257&categoryId=116
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/ATCCAPD.htm
http://www.stopie.com/x/stop/hazel+atlas+capri+blue.aspx

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 05:58:36 pm »
    Good job wendy  ;) 

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:08:41 pm »
Thanks Ironlord you of all people know how crazy glass can make one!!  :o

lefebvr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:16:00 pm »
Thank you so much, Wendy! I really appreciate all the thoughts I've received.  I'm de-cluttering my condo and I will just donate these to a local church group that runs a soup kitchen.  I'll be sure to spread the word about this terrific website. 

Thanks again, guys!  :D

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:36:59 am »
Thanks for your input but, I believe the quality of this glass ware is quite a bit above what they used to hand out as a premium for shoppers. 

Because it was free with a purchase did not make it cheap glassware !!  Although it was inexpensive then and manufacturers could afford to use them as incentives to gain customers,, much of it is very collectable today !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 07:47:19 am »
Agree Mart Much of the glassware given as incentives like Hazel-Atlas royal lace  in blue  during the 1930s given by the Strand Theatre in Reading, Pennsylvania with the purchase of tickets was very good quality glassware and many collectors consider this to be one of  the elite depression glass pattern & color combonations today!!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:52:57 am »
Thats right !! I remember a goblet that was free with a large box of oatmeal in the 50`s frosted floral with gold banding !!  Beautiful stuff, at least to me, and now selling well around here as are several other freebies !!