Author Topic: Question  (Read 2539 times)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Question
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:16:26 pm »
I have seen this happen on Ebay a lot, and I've always wondered why people do this. I don't see any advantage in it. When there is an auction with a reserve, why would anyone place a single increment bid, with no hope of meeting the reserve? Am I missing something or do people not understand what a reserve is?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:41:39 pm »
I am not sure what you are exactly asking but I will guess. A single increment is a bid and the reserve is usually not disclosed by a seller. The bid establishes a 'watch' point on the bidders my ebay without actually adding the item to a 'watch this item' list. In other words, the bidder is a real bidder and not a phantom 'watcher' that never bids.The bid is no good but any future bids by anyone will show up in items not won. If there is a Buy It Now auction price, the single bid used to, and I think still does, take out the auction BIN. The bidder may also be hoping that if there is no interest, the seller may offer it at that only bid price. I am not sure if this answers your questions on the example you gave.

Quite some time ago (like 2-3 yrs) I was looking at an item that had a low starting bid and during the time I was asking the seller some questions(the same day) to see if it was genuine, the seller sold the item by re-listing it as a BIN and selling it to someone who evidently made them an offer. If I would have put in an initial bid of any amount that could not have happened and the auction would have had to continue. The seller sold the item well below market value and well below what I would have finally bid. I emailed the seller and said as much.

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:35:24 pm »
Some people want to see if the reserve is reasonable.  I would guess a single-increment bid is a test to see if it's near what they -- the bidder -- consider to be its worth/value/price.  They bid once, the reserve still isn't met, it's clearly more than they want to pay, so they move on.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:26:31 pm »
Maybe so, but some leave me scratching my head- An expensive antique with a 99 cent starting bid and a reserve and someone puts in two dollars, when it is obvious that two dollars wouldn't even come close to the reserve. Kinda strange. I just wanted to see if there was something I was missing.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 06:08:07 pm »
Shill bidders sometimes will do that to divert attention at first then pop back in when and if it reaches the reserve price. Look for under 10 (usually) feedback on them !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:21:02 pm »
Oh, okay!  I do that all the time!  My thinking is this -- "eh, it's not something I'm really looking for, but it's kinda neat, or I can tear it apart and do something with it, or I wouldn't mind having it at two bucks, or whatever else I can think of".  It's a matter of "I'd take it off your hands for two bucks".  I'm sure we've all done something like that at yard sales!

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:28:11 pm »
Yes, CC, way too much I'm afraid.

hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »
I just call them low ballers. Hey at least there bringing attention to your item.