Author Topic: 1869 Builders Half Hull ??  (Read 4177 times)

kjtorris

• View Profile
1869 Builders Half Hull ??
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:16:40 am »
My wife and I have an old builders half hull. I have searched the internet many times but have had no luck finding one like mine. There is a small brass label in the bottom right corner that says "NO 12 Coramandel Trading Company 1869". The hull is mounted on what looks to be an ild wooden sign that was painted. Its large in size maybe 2 to 3 foot long. I have attached several photos in hopes someone could help me identify what we have and a ball park value. Thank you
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:21:21 am by kjtorris »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: 1869 Builders Half Hull ??
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:09:30 am »
Interesting. Coramandel is in India and was a British possession in 1869. The East India Trading Co was the big company up until 1858 when the British crown took it over (essentially this private company had become so big and powerful that it became a potential threat) I am guessing that Coramandel would be a later company that came about after the dissolution of the East India Co. although I could not find anything about it online. This would appear to be a sample that could be shown to a potential buyer. Kind of like a salesmans sample for a boat yard or shipping firm. The question is if it is truly old, or if it is a later reproduction. Can you show us some pictures of the back? The boat looks like a lake or river boat to me. Short masts, (might be shortened to fit the frame), no keel like a canoe, but it does have a rudder. Not something a large company would have done, maybe for local use? I'm kind of grasping at this, but you might show your pics to a maritime museum. They could probably identify it much better than I could.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:17:26 am »
It does not look like any bona fide half-hull model I have ever seen. I am thinking it is a decorative item and not the real deal. That brass plaque looks real fishy to me. Pier 1 perhaps.

Hmmm, Google gives me Coromandel and not Coramandel. A misspelling on a brass plaque is a red flag.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:27:45 am by waywardangler »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:29:14 am »
Tales good idea    kjtorris try contacting these guys very intersting site!!  http://www.vallejogallery.com/about_vallejo_gallery.htm

good luck & let us know what you find!!  :D

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:50 am »
I didn't notice that about the spelling, Google gave me the results with it corrected.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

kjtorris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:08:02 pm »
I do know it to be authentic. My father in laws friend is a major antique dealer and found this in europe some time ago. I noticed the spelling as well. Thanks for the information so far. I am including a picture of the back and some other shots as well.

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:32:23 pm »
In order for this to be authentic, Coramandel (sic) Trading Company had to exist in 1869 and this boat had to be No. 12 in their fleet. If that cannot be determined, then it is not authentic no matter who bought it or where it was purchased. I could not find a "Coramandel Trading Co." anywhere. I would assume if it existed, it would be listed somewhere on some site dealing with ships, trading companies, or something.

The engraving on the brass plaque appears to be too uniform to be hand chased and looks more like it was machine stamped but I am not looking at it in person. I still think this is just a decorative item and not a genuine half hull model used by a ship builder.

An interesting read on ships named "Coromandel" http://coromandel.aussiestory.info/YARMOUTH%20WRECK.pdf

The only Coromandel I could find to fit the 1869 date from http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/shipview.asp
sv COROMANDEL built by Scotts Greenock,
Built: 1843
Ship Type: Wood ship
Tonnage: 766t
Length: 135.4ft
Breadth: 28.7ft
Draught: 22.4ft depth
Owner History:
??
1854 James Ewing & others, Liverpool
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 10:54:07 pm by waywardangler »

dontbe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.antique-shop.com
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:04:52 pm »
The uniformity of the brass tag definitely makes it, I would say, at least +1900's.
Go to My Webpage
to talk about antiques and check on upcoming antique related events

kjtorris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »
Take a look at the 8. It seems to be out of place. If it is ornamental only I will still enjoy it. Thank you again for all your responses. One question still. The board looks like and old sign. In some spots where the paint or varnish has thinned you can see large painted letters showing thru. Was it common for ild signs to be used in the construction on these half hulls?

kjtorris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:48:33 pm »
Not sure why it double post's. Sorry for that. Also look at the a's. They all seem to be different. Thr lines following the a's are at different lengths and the last one in the word trading slopes farther dawn than the others. I sent an email to the maritime museum of San Fran. Will update once a response is given. The shipwreck of No. 5 seems interesting.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 01:42:26 am »
You know, this does look to have genuine age, I just don't think it's from 1869. Doesn't look like modern junk to me. Perhaps folk art made by (or for) someone? An anniversary piece? Something that someone did around the turn of the century? That would explain the misspelling. I personally think it's from the very early 1900s. Cool piece, nonetheless. And misspellings aren't always a complete dealbreaker. My antique school desk has Chicgo on one of the iron legs and Chicago on the other. People made big "oopsies", even in major companies back then. ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:55:01 am by hosman321 »

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 03:24:18 am »
And misspellings aren't always a complete dealbreaker. People made big "oopsies", even in major companies back then. ;)

Right you are, Hosman, the proofreading of one's own "writing" is always subject to overlooking a mistake, ...... especially in mold or die making where the "writing" is autopositive and/or in reverse sequence.

kjtorris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 07:01:36 pm »
Again thank you for your input. Still leaves me in the same place We started from. No real information on its origin. One final question. When looking for the ship name, were you searching the company name (Coramandel Shipping Co) or the ship name ( No 12)?. Maybe this would start an interesting debate.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:14:04 pm by kjtorris »

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 11:27:13 pm »
All of the above and then some. Nothing solid on any of it, especially Coramandel Trading Co.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 02:02:34 am »
I'm wondering whether this isn't so much a piece of art representing an actual vessel, but a sample of the wood (sample 12)? Could have something to do with the trade of wood between Coromandel (New Zealand) and the UK?