Author Topic: Old chest I found *pics*  (Read 2595 times)

Tacoman

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« on: July 08, 2004, 05:47:40 pm »
Somebody in my apartment complex threw this out when they left, I salvaged it from the trash.

There is so much stuff in it, I haven't even had time to go through it all. I don't know what to do with this stuff though. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 05:51:24 pm by Tacoman »

Tim

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 08:43:56 pm »
Hi............Check out the (Tias Collectors Newsletter). They have a
 lost and found column that is for this purpose. You might
have to surf the site but it's there. You would think there is family somewhere that would love to have it.

Tacoman

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 08:51:58 pm »
Somehow I doubt these people are searching for it. When they moved they had TONS of friends and family helping them-- yet they still threw it out.  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 03:57:47 am »
:huh: welcome to dumpster' diving. the photo's would have no value except to the family. christmas cards  postcards etc have a value. even tho small values are common. the stamped envelopes. love letters? something of interest written? war ration book about $10.00. trunk $45.00 dollars

Tacoman

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2004, 09:22:38 am »
Well I didn't exactly "dive" into the dumpster, it was placed outside of it. The hard part was carrying it up three flights of stairs by myself.  :o  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 10:19:09 am »
:o No harm meant, just a great way to spend a day. just watch for needles and broken glass and wear gloves.and now and then a rat' no need to fear there's room for both. I know for a fact' to large caches of money that were found this way. some one passed their furniture was being hauled to the  dump ( antique ) I tryed to make a deal with the trash man he was checking  the chest of drawers and found $100's of dollars in silver certificates :(  

kerrybee

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 02:24:09 pm »
And I knew I wasn't alone - dump picking - our coastal county had a free dump site, waaaay off in the boonie brush - folks would come from the "big city" and dump good stuff - we got antique mexican chairs, a "weather station" with the top finial & thermometer broken, but we fixed up and still have it and it works - oh, and other semi-worthless things, but it's how we decorated our little cabin in the woods - those were fun days   :D

ps the trunk is restorable - if you don't want it try selling for between $25 and $50 as is (with a little soap & water cleaning).

Tacoman

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 03:28:03 pm »
Thanks, although I'm not into actually going through dumpsters.

I guess I'm not as "hardcore" as you guys.  ;)  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
Old chest I found *pics*
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 04:35:40 pm »
:o you' know what? antique dealers get a bad rep! I try to be as honest as I can be, if I find it I can sell cheap if not it can mean hours at and auction when everyone else is sleeping.if I were running a free appraisal service for a living I would have to find another way of living. this way the overhead stays low. and we still injoy this site, offering free advice. I have to admit dumpster diving has to grow on you' give yourself a little time you will be right out there with us'ns! you have to admit it's honest.