Author Topic: Old Pair of Hensoldt/Wetzlar binoculars.  (Read 3422 times)

Wizgot

• View Profile
Old Pair of Hensoldt/Wetzlar binoculars.
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:18:49 am »
First off, I'm not even sure you would consider the binoculars I have as an antique. I am not an expert but they do look slightly old fashioned and belonged to my great grandfather (and by the looks of them they weren't used much) from whom I inherited them.

Now to the binoculars. They have their original case. The binoculars have a slim form to them, not like the bulky ones you see today, and are colored black. There is a logo by the eye piece that says "Hensoldt/Wetzlar" and to the right of this it states the power (7x42 dialyt). Markings continue to show up. It has engraved onto it "made in Germany" and its serial # (822011). My grandfather told me that his father bought them in the 50's. I think they are worth something because I had a look on Ebay and saw a similar pair go for $400. I don't think mine are worth that much but they are in pristine condition. That's about it. Yesterday I uploaded some photos of it onto flikr so if you would be so kind as to check them out...........

Case: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65708874@N03/5983964702/in/photostream

Binoculars : http://www.flickr.com/photos/65708874@N03/5983969576/in/photostream

Logo and power engravings : http://www.flickr.com/photos/65708874@N03/5983410873/in/photostream

Serial and Location Made : http://www.flickr.com/photos/65708874@N03/5983420339/in/photostream

Thanks for looking into this and any information about a price would be much appreciated. :)

waywardangler

Re: Old Pair of Hensoldt/Wetzlar binoculars.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:09:45 pm »
To start off, if I had a pair of high quality German binocs that have great, clear optics, I would be using them. I do not know anything about your brand but I am sure a search would turn up some examples to compare. These are probably way better than comparable $400 binocs today if the optics are sealed and not foggy and the view is crystal clear. If there is a leak then they are virtually worthless because fixing them would cost too much. I have about 6 pair. One is always in the car, 2 are for hunting, 2 are for birdwatching, and the last pair is a backup for the car. I have a couple of junk pair also, one being a WWII German tank pair with extensive damage on one side. I also have an antique French pr that has remarkably clear optics for its age and quality and is real easy to focus.

A good pair of binoculars is worth having on hand.

Wizgot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:46:18 pm »
I would never think about selling these. These binoculars are in perfect condition. The lenses are crystal clear. I really just wanted to know how much they could be worth and maybe a little info on them.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:10:39 pm »
Boy do the pictures of your binoculars bring back some memories for me. My dad was a paratrooper with the 507th (82nd Airborne) in WWII and he picked up a pair of German binoculars, not unlike yours, on a battlefield in Europe off of a deceased German officer and brought them home with him. (What can I say, a lot of guys did that back then) For years afterward he took them to 49er games and they were fantastic, high-quality binoculars.

Since yours are marked "Made in Germany" which is in English, then I do not think that they came home with a soldier as my father's did. They were probably modeled after the military ones for an American market, since soldiers returning home would have been familiar with their quality. I can tell you that the black bumpy surface that lets you keep a firm grip on them (even when your palms are sweating) is identical to Dad's pair. I think your date of post-war 1950's is probably correct.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Wizgot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:30:52 pm »
That's really cool to hear sevenseas. I didn't think they were WW II era because they were in really good condition. The made in Germany (in english) gave it away.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:18:39 am »
At first when I saw your photos I had an instantly emotional reaction, because they were so much like the WWII ones my dad had and despite their origins, I have wonderful memories of 49er games with my dad. But you are right, that "Made in Germany" in English is very telling!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Wizgot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:09:28 am »
I'm really glad they brought you back some good memories. I found a page that had a picture of a WW II German production of them and they look almost exactly the same except for an extra support bar (I think that;s what you call it) that runs across near where you look through.

jondar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:01:22 am »
Hensoldt were quality binoculars.  The binocular you have is of the "roof prism" type without the "bulge" you mention. The ones with the "bulge" are called Porro prism. Some of these were used in WW2 by the military as well as Zeiss, Busch and others.  If military they will have the "artillery scale" unless removed.  If your binocular is clear viewing and in good alignment then you have one of the best, and a pleasure to use.