Author Topic: Looking for info on these plates: Asiatic Pheasants R. Hall Black and white  (Read 3237 times)

nicholita

• View Profile
I purchased 2 plates from a thrift store. They have scalloped edges-black underglaze. I think they are either transferware or earthenware. They have "asiatic pheasants" in a scroll and the name "R. Hall" on the back on the plate. The size is 10 1/4 inches. From what I read they are circa 1822-1838. Apparently these plates are very rare. I cant find anything about them online except for one article written in the 60's...attached website below

http://www.oldandsold.com/articles/article180.shtml

perfect condition. Can anyone tell me anything about them?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
    Is it possible to get a shot of the back, espically the hall mark and the Foot (Ring) on the plate.  I checked Replacments and they do have a Hall Reed Ceramic plate labelled as Asiatic Pheasants, but no pictures or info, but it did say Blue with Floral.   Appears to be transfer print from the pics, and most likely is stoneware or ironstone.  Pretty cool plate.

nicholita

• View Profile
The back of the plate

waywardangler

When I Googled images "asiatic pheasant plates by R.Hall" many examples were shown. Replacements has many but they say the pattern is Royal Stafford so I am not sure if the plate maker is the same. Maybe irolord can shed some light on this. The pattern looks the same. http://www.replacements.com/webquote/RSTASPBR.htm

From what I have been seeing is this was a popular pattern put out by many different companies.

nicholita

• View Profile
yes I saw those all over the internet but these plates have scalloped edges and the patern is a little different around the edge. also these plates are black and white nd not brown. i cant seem to find this exact pattern in this exact size. 10 1/4 inches. thanks for your  help :)

mart

• View Profile
The foot of the plate does not show the wear I would expect if from that date !!

wendy177

• View Profile
Nicholita I believe your plate may have been produced earlier than 1822  -  1802 Ralph Hall worked in partnership with his brother John originally at the Sytch Pottery in Burslem, In  1811 Ralph  Hall took over Swan Banks Works at Tunstall and was responsible for production there. John Hall and his brother Ralph worked in partnership at two locations, John being responsible for production at Burslem and Ralph at the Swan Bank works in Tunstall. As early as 1814 it is suggested that they were more or less working independently but the partnership was not dissolved until 1822. The company ceased trading c1849 and the Swan Banks Works were taken over by Podmore Walker & Co in 1853. Wedgwood & co of Tunstall claim to be the "original manufacturers , Asiatic Pheasants" (produced in blue) a claim which relates to their predecessors Podmore Walker & Co. The pattern was however very widely coppied and at least 34 makers are known to have used it prior to 1880 all produced in blue. Asiatic Pheasants was probably the most popular of all blue printed designs in the second half of the 19th century and even into Edwardian times. From the info I have found I believe R Hall produced it in black very early on and Podmore Walker & Co acquired it when taking over Swan Banks Works in 1853 and began producing it in blue only along with the other 34 companies making coppies of the pattern at later years. I too would say your find is rare and could not even guess a value. Try contacting a well known auction house with your information you have and see what they think. good luck & let us know what you find.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    The one thing I note is the foot of the plate is Glazed.  Most early plates, Victorian and pre would not have glazed over the foot.  They would sit the plate directly on the floor of the kiln.   It is not uncommom for plates to be reproduced with the same pattern by different companies, Blue willow being the most prominent.  I personnaly believe your plate was made in the early 20th century.  I have not had much chance to look into my books and online yet.  But like I said and mentioned by mart, the base of the plate does not appear to be victorian or earlier.

nicholita

• View Profile
thanks wendy!
ironlord- the bottom of the plate has indentions - they look like 3 little prongs in the shape of a triangle. there are about 4 of these indentions on the bottom..it almost looks like the plate was rested on these 3 prong spokes for it to be fired or however they made them back in the day ill attach pictures of the indentions later today.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
     Yes. that was and still is the common practice today, when making plates.  They rest them on holders as they go though the firing kiln, which today is a mechanical process on a belt the goes into the Kiln.  Back in the late 19th century and before they would sit the plate on the floor of the kiln.  This is a good way to note a plate is older, because where the plate rested on the floor (or shelf)  There would be no glaze.  This is just a general rule, and not always the case, I have seen a couple of older Blue and whites, that would have some glaze on the plate foot.  Other thing to note about older plates is they sometime tend to be out of round or not exactly flat.  Again these are general rules, and by no means prove the age.