Author Topic: Savonarola chair, any info??  (Read 6768 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Savonarola chair, any info??
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:39:02 am »
Multiple bolts right on the front like that, that's just weird. I don't know. My gut tells me this is a modern reproduction, but what do the other members think? I don't think someone would just leave this behind for free if it were a valuable old chair. But of course, it's not unheard of.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:50:51 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:02 am »
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:46:45 am by hosman321 »

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 11:53:02 am »
Yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion.  It could be like 1920s old, but it would still decrease the value.  what i do know is that it isn't a mass produced item.  I can't find it anywhere, and that just seems odd.  and I think mort is right, it doesn't go with the furnishings in today's home.  On a side note, I just found a Holt Howard cozy kitten memo holder for 15 dollars!!  woohoo!!  I am going to stick to mid century modern collectibles.

galaxywomun

• View Profile

waywardangler

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 12:18:41 pm »
 ??? I see metal screw heads in the front of the one in the link you provided. I think your chair is probably from the 1920s like the one in the link. It is not a 15th century chair or anything in between the 15th-20th century. There is almost zero wear where wear should be if it was used at all for hundreds of years. No wear on the arms, the back, where it folds up, etc. Add all that up with slotted screw heads and it is a more recent copy of an ancient chair type. I can see where these were invented by a monk because it is probably very uncomfortable without a lower back support. As to value, it is worth what someone will pay you for it. I do not think many people are looking for a 20th century copy of a 15th century folding chair. JMO.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:27:52 pm by waywardangler »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:06 pm »
The bolt heads and the slots in them look mass-manufactured from what I can see, Aside from a bit of damage to the slot during tightening they look very straight and centered, unlike bolts that was individually slotted. There is some wear to the backrest where the finish has worn down on the high points of the carving from use, that's a nice sign of some amount of age. I don't see a lot of wear on the feet, but maybe it's the photos. Usually you'll see lots of scuffs from brooms, mops and vaccums over the years.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 12:34:23 pm »
hmmm.  i see what you are saying.  someone definitely took a lot of time making this chair.  the world may never know!!   I found another link with similar carving, I will try to find it and post it.

galaxywomun

• View Profile

waywardangler

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »
That one has the three screw heads in front like yours.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 01:44:35 pm »
    I personnally do not think this is hand carved, appears to me to be Machine by a CNC,  Looks to consistance side to side.  I think later repo.  IMO, by no means a expert though

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 01:52:31 pm »
I think that date is about right,, 1920 or so !!

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 01:57:23 pm »
me too!!  yay!!  we figured it out, i think  :D  NOW what about that table??  lol, lol.  I am starting a store on etsy, so you may see more of me here from time to time.  THANKS for helping!!!! <3

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 04:25:19 pm »
Agree with date line.  We had questions about this type chair many years ago....  These chairs were mass made in Mexico/S America at one point....and something about this one lends me to think yours is possibly one of those.

See also old post "need help identifying chair"  « on: March 30, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 04:27:51 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:20 pm »
Thanks!  Hey KC, can you take a look at my other post???  The table was found WITH the chair, and the tribal carvings look sorta MExican like.  I can't find any info on it, and it's driving me nuts!!