Author Topic: Any idea what this Copper cabinet is????  (Read 2999 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Any idea what this Copper cabinet is????
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:38:35 am »
I picked this up (see pixs below) at a flea market, but have no idea what it is. It appears to be some copper cabinet. It has 3 smaller boxes that hang off of the top of it, along with a cup and a boxed lantern that hangs off as well. It is 23 inches high and 14 inches across. There are absolutely no markings on it whatsoever. Has anyone seen anything like this? I bought it because it really looked interesting, but it would be nice to know what the heck it is. Any help is appreciated.

waywardangler

Re: Any idea what this Copper cabinet is????
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:52 am »
I am thinking it has something to do with keeping food warm, maybe while camping. Any evidence of heat being applied to the bottom such as being set over coals?

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:51 am »
No signs of it having been heated around the bottom. The frustrating part is no marks, no heat marks, nothing. Just aged copper. Aggghhhh! WHat is this thing!!!!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:33:50 am »
Waywardangler

Thanks for the direction! I checked online and found another one for sale. Hey, I learned something! According to the seller, the description is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-BRASS-GLASS-FOOD-CONCESSION-WARMER-DISPLAY_W0QQitemZ250765665780QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:102?rvr_id=252220388786&clk_rvr_id=252220388786

"WE HAVE A UNIQUE ANTIQUE BRASS & GLASS FOOD CONCESSION WARMER DISPLAY ~ PICNIC KIT

It looks like it could be straight out of Coney Island keeping your favorite boardwalk food warm. This is one of those items that every antique dealer has a different theory on.

It is 28" tall hexagon shape it is 14" wide and 12" wide. Definitely designed to be portable with the welded handle encircling display and riveted near base.

Stamped out design at the top.  There are 4 compartments that hang off the top and the side of the handles.  1 cup that is 4 1/4" tall by 3 3/4" in diameter.  2 square ones that are 8 3/4" long by 4" wide and 4 1/4" tall, the second one is 5 1/4" long and 2" wide and 4 1/4" tall.  The hexagon one is 5 3/4" long by 4" wide and 4 1/4" tall, 5 glass panels around the middle.

There is a shelf in the center and the bottom shelf lifts up probably to put warm water in or maybe warm coals."

He is asking $500 for his, I just paid $65 for mine. Hmm, guess this goes to the antique show next weekend.

Hudsonhacker

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:34:31 am »
    I have a friend that just bought one of these a couple of months ago at a Auction.  It was sold as a food vendor container like wayward suggest.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:41:02 am »
What a cool website. I was totally stumped, and with the help of one member it took me 20 minutes to figure this one out! I am going to put up some more of my obscure stuff that I have picked up, maybe someone can help me on those!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:03:07 am »
Wow !!  Nice !!  Copper value alone would make it worth a few bucks !! And the interest in copper items for the kitchen is pretty good currently !!  I sure could see it sitting in my kitchen !!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:06:15 am »
I actually bought it just because it caught my eye, even though I had no idea what it was.  Gotta love Flea Markets!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:17:30 am »
You have a good eye !! I  like both your purchases !! Pump and this copper item !!

waywardangler

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:11:05 pm »
Amazing! I wonder what years(s) its use dates to? I think it looks pretty cool all polished up.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 02:15:29 pm »
These also were used as a "lunch box" for a large family or very hungry man at work.  Kinda of like our version of a picnic basket....but was able to be steamed and/or heated.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »
Amazing! I wonder what years(s) its use dates to? I think it looks pretty cool all polished up.

Funny thing is it isn't polished. That is just the flash from the camera. The thing is in incredible shape. Now, just to try and date it. Going to have to do some research through old photos of amusement parks, that might work.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 02:38:51 pm »
I would not clean it more tha it already is !!  Some people like that aged patina of old copper !!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 02:49:11 pm »
I do not intend to touch it. I have heard too many horror stories of people trying to clean up antiques and basically destroying the value of them.