Author Topic: Depression Glass Oil Lamp - Calling IRONLORD!  (Read 1937 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Depression Glass Oil Lamp - Calling IRONLORD!
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:39:42 pm »
I read in a thread from a few days ago that IRONLORD really knows depression glass. I have a green oil lamp that I have been told is Depression Glass. The Metal part that the wick sits in (sorry, do not know the technical name ) has the name EAGLE stamped in it. It seems to still have the original globe with the green coloring around the rim as well. Sorry for the blurry pics, should really pull out a tripod for this stuff to hold the camera.

Anyone know an APPROXIMATE value for this? Hey, just to give me an idea. IS it worth $5, $50, or $5 million? (Still haven't found that $5 million garage sale item, but I keep looking!)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Depression Glass Oil Lamp - Calling IRONLORD!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:30:21 pm »
Keep looking,, you are not going to find it in this one !!  Could have been made in Depression era but that doesn`t add to this ones value !! Metal part and glass part are made by different companies !! This one is a rather common design and would probably bring $40. to $50. depending on location !! In oil lamps look for unique design and marks on the glass. Aladdin was a popular brand name !!  Also florals in the "Gone with the Wind" style sell well but are hard to find !!  Also the metal ones sell for a bit more but all must be in good condition !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 04:49:24 pm »
    Mart is correct that Lamp makers, like Eagle, Lamp Farm, Aladdin pretty much bought parts from various companies and put them together.  Many Glass companies did this, esp, companies like Fenton, and Fostoria.  As for the age, I personnally would say it is Depression Era.  I will have to consult my other half, she collects oil Lamps and know much more then I.  Keep in mind Depression Era and after lamps was on the way out, Electricity was taking over, Farms and rural area still bought them and everyone seem to have at least one for emergency.  The value of these today is pretty low over all unless you have a unique one or pre Depression era.  My lady buys up some really nice ones, usually for under $10.00.  This one look pretty utility like and would have little value, except when your power goes out.  When we loose power, the lady is happy and we have several to light the whole house up  :D.   I will ask mysty about Eagle lamps if you wish to have some history.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:52:38 pm »
Oh well, will keep looking for the diamond in the rough.

Doing as much research as I can before i ask questions on here, but you guys just know the stuff way too well. Thanks for the help.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 08:12:40 pm »
Don't be too discouraged hudson, it's still a really cool lamp. Wayward and I always say to buy things because you like them, not because you think they might be valuable. Otherwise you'll end up with a house full of stuff you don't really want that is worth very little. Trust me, I have first hand experience doing this and I still do it once in awhile. ;)
I have some antiques that are priceless to me and I love them because of their history or because they are really unique. On the market, they may be worth $5. But I love them just the same as the items that cost me $$$. If you like the lamp and will actually use it, it was worth purchasing. If not, sell it to go buy more STUFF! :)

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 08:17:51 pm »
Amen, hosman.  :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:36:35 pm »
    Too, true.   One note the lady said, Is the one's with a metal base, is more valueable.  And was wandering if we can get a clear pic of the base.  The value could be in the parts.  But I say get some fuel and when In need these are far better then any candle, or coleman latern that takes a dozen batteries and has that awful LED Glow  :o

tmerrifield

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 06:06:17 am »
I've got agree hosman.  the fun part for me is having something that was utilitarian  100 years ago-  the uniqueness of the object in todays society.