Author Topic: KARL KIMMEL KNIVES  (Read 3703 times)

wendisue100

• View Profile
KARL KIMMEL KNIVES
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:24 am »
HELLO ALL..

I HAVE A 13 PEICE SET OF KARL KIMMEL CARVING KNIVES. IT WAS BOUGHT IN GERMANY IN THE 50'S. HAS A VERY NICE BOX THAT HOLDS THE BONE/ANTLER HANDLES. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL CONDITION. ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUE AS TO THE VALUE OF THIS ANTIQUE SET OF CARVING KNIVES?

waywardangler

Re: KARL KIMMEL KNIVES
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:44:00 am »
Those are neat! I especially like the carving on the handles. I do not think I have ever seen that carving before. Almost nice enough to frame and hang on the wall. I found some smaller sets in a search but they were already sold so no prices. I also found a 3-pc set for sale in BC, Canada on Kijiji for $75 (steel, fork, carving knife).

There was an old post here last year but not much info http://www.antique-shop.com/forums/index.php?topic=7447.0
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:55:16 am by waywardangler »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:00 pm »
Found one that was listed last year in the UK that was a five piece set for 95 pounds !!  Saw a couple of hunting knives on ebay by Kimmel at $195. but they may not sell !!  There is surprisingly little on these knives that I could find.  And its not really something that one buys to collect but rather to use !! Good thing is the size of your set at 13 pieces is a large one and not as readily found for sale as smaller sets are !!

wendisue100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 12:56:49 pm »
Thanks for the information ! my searches have shown that they were made in Solingen Germany. Your right about the size of the set as well, I've seen smaller ones go from 75.00 all the way up to 250.00..so it is hard to really get an idea., for the larger size. I am interested in selling them, so any of you that may be interested, I would consider offers.  :)  Also, any ideas on where to post this for sale? I've put it in Craigslist once, had a few nibbles, but no takers or offers. Does it normally cost me anything to bring it to a local appraisor ? I suppose that varies from collector to collector. I've also considered keeping them longer too...just not sure.

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:18 pm »
Wendisue, I just do not think there is a demand for carving knife sets, no matter how high quality they are or who made them. In my opinion, the game shears and the cleaver are the most desirable pieces in the set. The steak knives and 3-pc carving set are common. Craigslist is too local for what you have. You need to reach a worldwide audience and right now eBay is the BIG fish unfortunately. I might try a BIN at what you think they are worth and drop the price until they sell. Maybe ironlord can weigh in on the pricing strategy.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:58:51 pm »
If it were me and I wanted to sell them,, I would take it to a few antique shops in your area. Wayward is correct and as I said these are usually purchased to use, not as a collectable item.  You might try ebay and get more interest !!

waywardangler

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:07 pm »
Mart, I highly doubt any antique shop will offer 50% of what they should be worth. I think they will low-ball it because the market is so narrow. However, if wendisue is in a large metro area that might be different. Mart, you had a shop, what would you price this at back in the day and how long would it sit until they sold? Just curious. I see the 3-pc sets all the time and they just sit. Maybe a large set such as this would be different. Thinking out loud.

This 5-pc set has all but the steak knives and it sold for $61.97 May 2011. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220784154283+&clk_rvr_id=252867761605
There were only 5 bidders. Add the steak knives and I think you are looking at $100 tops in todays market at auction (I just love to use overused AR phrases).  ;D  JMO.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:14:35 pm by waywardangler »

wendisue100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:32:17 pm »
again thanks to all of you for some insight. very new to me. I can't imagine how I'd ever use this., but good to know their MIGHT? be someone who COULD be interested.  ??? Im in Madison, WI so I will check into some antique shops in the area.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:46:07 pm »

If I had my shop today I would be hard pressed to buy the set at $40. and yes,, it would sit a while !! I had my shop in the late 70`s and early 80`s and truthfully it would have brought more money back then !! I am not sure that it would sell for much more today on ebay !! I personally think that breaking up the set would bring more $$$ than selling it intact !!  There are certain types of people that collect individual items !!  I sold recently a set of dinner knives, from England, can`t remember the maker, but they were old style broad knives with bakelite handles and did well on them !!  Many will buy certain pieces but do not want the whole set !!

Mart, I highly doubt any antique shop will offer 50% of what they should be worth. I think they will low-ball it because the market is so narrow. However, if wendisue is in a large metro area that might be different. Mart, you had a shop, what would you price this at back in the day and how long would it sit until they sold? Just curious. I see the 3-pc sets all the time and they just sit. Maybe a large set such as this would be different. Thinking out loud.

This 5-pc set has all but the steak knives and it sold for $61.97 May 2011. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220784154283+&clk_rvr_id=252867761605
There were only 5 bidders. Add the steak knives and I think you are looking at $100 tops in todays market at auction (I just love to use overused AR phrases).  ;D  JMO.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 04:53:27 pm »
I have to unfortunately agree that carving sets do not have the value that they used to.  Because of that...so many people are discarding them.  So....if it has sentimental value...hang on to it and eventually after most have been disposed of...it could increase in monetary value again!

I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 08:57:44 pm »
Wendisue, I am near La Crosse so it is nice to have another Wisconsinite on the forum.