Author Topic: 1st purchase-Cecil Aldin print, any way to guess age?  (Read 3839 times)

reiver

• OCD awareness week 10th-16th Oct
    • View Profile
1st purchase-Cecil Aldin print, any way to guess age?
« on: August 05, 2011, 01:50:29 am »
Hello,
After growing up being taken to antiques shops and having them all around the family home (must stress wasn't taught what to look for just enjoyed what appeared!), I decided the other day to go in search of a picture to brighten up my new house. I visited a local antiques centre and saw a picture of a terrier by Cecil Aldin in a nice wooden frame. The shop assistant didn't appear to know anything about the shop (I even had to ask for them to wrap the picture when I bought it) so my questions were answered with "I don't know the owner is out."
I can't find a copy of this image anywhere on the internet!
I know it is not an original print (they run into thousands would be amazed if it was) but I would like to try and guess it's age if possible and wondered if the frame might give me some clues? It has been sealed at the back with very wide looking brown masking tape and has tiny little flat "nails" that slot into the frame, that are holding the image onto the frame, a bit like those fold over clips that are on frames nowadays.
I'm thinking of starting a collection of dog art so would appreciate any tips!
Thank you in advance!

waywardangler

Re: 1st purchase-Cecil Aldin print, any way to guess age?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 06:25:20 am »
A pic of your print would be nice. I find quite a few different terrier prints by Cecil Aldin on the internet but it is hard to tell what you have without a pic.

reiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:25:20 am »
Hello,
Sorry that would make alot of sense  ;D hopefully attached! Please note image is in reverse due to the camera on my laptop.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:58:21 am »
I do not find that image either. That is a nice dog picture. Is it an original numbered print, hand-signed, or ? The framing method only means it was framed recently and does not tell how old the print is. Personally, I would take it out of the frame and look at the print to see what I have but that is just me.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 10:47:34 am »
That is what needs to be done !! The frame looks fairly new but can`t tell about the print till it is out of the frame !! You may be talking about brads being used in the frame !!

reiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 11:31:18 am »
Hi,
Took it out-I was curious too-nothing but two strips of the weird brown tape running across the back of the print. No date, the signature is as part of the copy. The picture has been copied onto what looks like card-certainly not paper. The frame has two sets of frame hook holes in the back and those weird little flat pins holding it in place (the frame itself has more slots for these pins than pins, so maybe the frame has been recycled at some point) it's a mystery. The shop "assistant" remarked that the tape on the back was "the way they used to do it" and the price label says it is called Tommy. I have found another picture called Tommy by Cecil, and it ain't this dog!
Maybe I have just wasted my cash and bought some fake copy  ??? I like the picture so not too bothered, but wanted to make sure I wasn't ripped off (cost me £39 dare I say it).

reiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:37:33 am »
Forgot to add, that picture makes the frame look free of scuffs it's not  :D

waywardangler

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:47:19 am »
Depending on size, giclee (zhee-klay) Cecil Aldin prints range from $35-$225 with no frame. Maybe you have a giclee print?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 12:33:31 pm »
Could be Wayward !!  Just use a bit of Old English on that frame before you put the print back and it will look great !!  Just let it dry well before putting it back together !!

reiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:47:41 am »
Hi,
 I get the impression by Mart's comment that I have been completely ripped off?!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 02:05:19 am by reiver »

waywardangler

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 08:36:33 am »
No, I do not think mart meant that. I do not think you got a bargain but more like market value for the framed print. Mart was commenting on using Old English furniture polish on the nicks/scratches on the frame. It will greatly improve the appearance of the frame and when put back together, the frame will not detract from the print's look.

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 11:59:04 am »
It could be that Reiver was worried about the exclamations after  ... 'Could be Wayward!!' thinking Mart was questioning your 'Cecil Aldin prints range from $35-$225'
but once you've been on this site for a while you'll understand that Mart likes to use exclamation marks!!!!
£34 isn't a lot to pay for a framed print 'retail'. People will tell you that they probably only paid £15 for it at Auction, maybe they did, but how many auctions would you ave to go to to find that print? How much time would you spend at the auction house, even if you left a commission bid? No, if you like it then £34 is not a bad price to pay.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 01:01:30 pm »
Oh no !!  Indeed I was referring to the Giclee print method that Wayward mentioned !! Cecil Aldin was a premier animal artist and if you got your print for less that market value you did very well !! I would have jumped on it if I had found it !!  Sorry about the exclamation points,, I have used them for years and it seems to go with my personality !!  Old habits are hard to break !!
I really do know how to type a proper sentence but at my age,, I like doing things my way !!  LOL
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 01:05:52 pm by mart »

mariok54

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »
Nothing like a good exclamation !!!!!!   ;D

waywardangler

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 03:53:14 pm »
!  ::)  !