Author Topic: 1930's Lamp - Not sure of creator or value  (Read 3468 times)

PhilG2011

• View Profile
1930's Lamp - Not sure of creator or value
« on: August 06, 2011, 08:54:02 am »
Hi there guys,

I recently came to own this lamp, I have done a little research on it and found on another site for sale at $1,200USD; apparently it is dated at 1930s' era. The lamp I have is all original parts, has NOT been cleaned as I know cleaning can damage the value if the item is damaged via scratching etc.

I have a few pictures to share with you all, but I would like to know a little more about this piece as I have been refered to contact other communities too and to no avail from auction houses either. One actioneer even said that he would not sell this peice as he has no clue about it, he knows it's old but has told me that he couldn't value it as he doesn't know much about it though I do keep getting contact from an overseas American buyer who is interested in the lamp. Although, I do not wish to sell it just too soon without knowing the history behind it.

If you guys are able to fill me in on a little more information about this peice I would appreciate it very much as I have no clue about it,

Thanks again.

Anyway, here are the pictures -

Enjoy.

waywardangler

Re: 1930's Lamp - Not sure of creator or value
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 09:08:53 am »
Any markings? I have never seen a lamp with that chunky of glass applied to a shade nor do I find one on the internet after a cursory search. If you found a value of $1200, is that a recent value or from a few years ago? I cannot see this lamp for that much unless it is marked and in demand. The wires hanging down concern me that this may have been rewired and not put back together properly. The one wire looks blue but maybe it is green and the color is just off in the pic.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 09:23:10 am »
From what site did you get that value ?? Would like to see it !! Whoever the artist was,, he wasn`t very good !!  The base appears to be older maybe 30`s or so but the top part does not !! Top has very poor metalwork and looks amateurish !!

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:24 am »
OK Maybe found a lead http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/unique-fun-22-h-multi-colored-chunk-glass    looks to be the same type of glass work, and if correct started in 1956,   This is the site and the work they do is beautiful  your piece may be an early piece in one artists style . http://www.northeasternlamps.com/   drop them a line & see if it is their work. good luck  let us know what you find!! :)  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:00:27 am by wendy177 »

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:55:29 am »
 ??? The lamp posted looks nothing like the one(s) in the link you gave wendy. I am with mart on this lamp.

Looks to be more of this "Obsidian" Lamp style http://pebblepup.com/obsidian-lamp/
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:10:25 am by waywardangler »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 09:59:20 am »
sorry the first link did not work the first time ?? should be able to view it now  :) Found this one also but no lead as to maker from this seller   http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/multi-colored-chunk-jewel-round-glass-lamp
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:04:25 am by wendy177 »

PhilG2011

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 11:04:20 am »
hi, sorry the web site that displays this lamp is called fernworks antiques,

PhilG2011

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 11:08:14 am »
also the wire is just wrapped around the lamp to keep it tidy, it's made of wrought iron base, and leaded glass nugget shade but thats all i know and it's 1930's.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 12:10:55 pm »
My thought was that it was made of quartz pieces...  not glass.

ETA...  Not sure quartz would be as translucent as the wayward pic tho.
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:48 pm »
I looked at the ones at Fernworks and they look to be by the same person !! However they haven`t sold the ones they have so if I were you,,, I would take the money offered and run !! Finding history without knowing who made it will be difficult !! Seems Fernworks did not know either !! Good Luck on your search !!

PhilG2011

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 09:24:27 pm »
I found  this on eBay,

it looks similar, but the shades are different in colour

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-LEADED-SLAG-GLASS-WROUGHT-IRON-TABLE-LAMP-/110722854632

Could be by the same designer, but I'm not sure.

waywardangler

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 06:58:13 am »
$117 is a far cry from $1200. No wonder the Fernworks lamp is sitting there. It looks like the same maker to me. The shades were all hand inlaid with chunks of glass so natural they would all be different.

I think the market for slag glass lamps is narrow. Without a known name attached to it, it is just an old lamp with what I consider an ugly shade in the daylight. Lit up at night, it looks quite stunning.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:50:45 am »
Reminds me of something from disco days !!

waywardangler

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 09:55:41 am »
In the right room, it could be Saturday Night Fever or Hot Stuff.  ;D

PhilG2011

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:25:03 am »
Don't get me wrong, personally, I like it, sure, it is ugly, I don't deny that. But I do feel like it has some history to it (As with anything dating back to that age does) but, It's the fact that not many people know much about it, or anyhthing along those lines is what bugs me the most. I would like to know as much as possible about this lamp as I think it is rather odd and unique. Granted, might not fetch a lot of money, but that isn't a problem for me, I didn't purchase it to make money, I purchased it as I like it.

Anyway, as before, if anybody knows anything about it, or happens to stumble accross some knowledge, plase fill me in!

Thanks.