Author Topic: I finally got to buy something fun. Geeze.  (Read 6450 times)

hosman321

• View Profile
I finally got to buy something fun. Geeze.
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »
We've been super tight on money lately with us both being unemployed but I finally got to buy something fun. I have been wanting a pair of these scissors for a long time, for no particular reason other than I love them. I got these ones because they have a maker's mark. Or, at least a partial one. Does anybody know of a site where I can look it up? I can see an "sa" at the beginning, a "co" (company?) at the bottom left and a star to the right. Of course, I don't have them in hand. But I am the most impatient person in the world. :) Thanks for any advice! I will go to the library if need be, but I like to have a book name so I can see if the library has it before I make the trip. The book they show doesn't appear to talk about maker's marks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150639495842&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:29:37 pm by hosman321 »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: I finally got to buy something fun. Geeze.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 08:33:54 pm »
     Wow I really like those, Nice snag for sure, no nothing of the value and etc.  Just overall cool looking.

waywardangler

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 08:35:02 pm »
OMG, hosman, I can barely see the marks...good luck. I think you may luck out if the blacksmith was well known and some of his other wares were published.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:25:09 pm »
I know wayward, it really will be a project to figure it out. But I have seen people list books that have makers marks for iron items of that period, I just can't find them again! I will probably be up all night, I would just really like to know if they are 18th or 19th century.

hosman321

• View Profile

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 09:49:10 pm »
I wonder if this book would have something, but my library system doesn't have it...
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Antiques-682/2009/6/Antique-Scissors.htm

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:49:07 pm »
The Bellevue Library (King County) has that book...  Can you get an inter-library loan from King County?  If not, I'm happy to get it and look for you.  Altho..... if I don't find it you will always wonder if I missed it!!  LOL  ;)
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:16:20 am »
Very cool. I have some antique sewing scissors and I use them all the time. Love 'em!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:24:51 am »
That would be great oceans! No rush though, just whenever you think of it. I doubt that it will have maker's marks in there anyways but it couldn't hurt to look. The same seller has another pair with a clearer (different) mark than mine but too late for that now. ;)
Oh, and I don't know about an inter-library thing, never tried.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:36:18 am »
This book looks awesome. But I need to find it WAY cheaper. The cheapest on abebooks is $225. :o Cheapest on ebay is $94.
http://www.amazon.com/Colonial-Wrought-Iron-Sorber-Collection/dp/1879535165
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:24:58 am by hosman321 »

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 04:33:05 pm »
I got these in the mail today. I must say, they are pretty darn cool. I really love them. Upon closer inspection, the mark that looks like a star actually looks like a big bird, maybe a rooster. Then again, maybe all the pitting is causing me to see things. ;)
I'll take pics today to show the mark, and head off to see if there is anything about a rooster maker's mark online.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 05:09:44 pm »
Ok, I know the pics are terrible but it's as good as it gets for now. In person I can tell that it is definitely a chicken or rooster. The same stamp is on both blades. On one blade I can read "CO" inside a circle, at the right of the circle. On the other blade I can read "SM" or "SA" at the beginning. The rest is worn away. The circle is under the chicken's feet. Of course, nothing to really go off of. But there's got to be a book or website that has known maker's marks. At least I have a partial mark! I'd love to know who made these, when and where.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:14:24 pm by hosman321 »

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:24:16 pm »
H - I'll try to get to the library in the next week or so. My week is kinda blowing up on me
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:10 pm »
Antiqueaholic in recovery

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 04:45:07 pm »
Tales, you are way awesome!! And Oceans, thank you so much for offering to get it for me!