Author Topic: Antique Hexagon Side Table  (Read 1771 times)

wldrnsqltr

• View Profile
Antique Hexagon Side Table
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:15 pm »
I got this hexagon side table almost 30 years ago from an elderly neighbor, who said she brought it as a new bride from Norway at least 50 years before that. It measures about 29 inches across and about 29 inches high and is dark wood with ornamentation etched around the outer part of the top surface. The six legs are somewhat decorative but connected to one another with straight pieces. I'd like to find out more about it - origin, style, date, value. I've been searching without success. I guess beings I'm new to all this, I don't know what terms to use to get useful search results. Anyway, any help or direction anyone here can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Hexagon Side Table
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:41 pm »
Could we get a pic of that top ??  Its a beautiful old table but would be hard to identify without something written on the table itself !!  As far as style,, it seems that the ones that we know did not extend to the Norwegian countries !!  Or if they did it was only slightly !! They have always had a unique flair that was theirs alone !!  If I were to guess based on just what I can see I would say that its from around 1900 or so !!  Value wise,, not a lot in my opinion and I would say $300. or less !! Still it is a very nice piece and well worth keeping !!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 01:42:07 pm by mart »

wldrnsqltr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 02:42:50 pm »
Ok - here's a picture of the top. Guess I should have polished it first - oops. And the rosy glow is reflection from the curtain in the background - the true color is what's seen at the bottom of the picture. Also, I got a shot of the bottom and a close-up of the remains of a label of some sort.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:12:28 pm »
The piece showing under the table doesn`t look the same as the top !!  Has it been added ??  I would almost think it was an old piece of paneling that they used in the 70`s !! Also looks to have been either touched up or partly refinished at some point !! Legs and all under parts look correct for age but top does not !!  Wayward might give info on table top detail !! He is of Norwegian descent,,, maybe he knows what the figures are !! I still think age is correct !!

wldrnsqltr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:07:05 pm »
The top is a single thickness with 1/4 inch deep grooves (I just measure with a ruler) cut across the under-side. Look closely at the photo and you'll see that they do not go all the way across to the points of the hexagon. In the center are 3 pairs of grooves with 4 single grooves on either side. I've wondered about them myself - not sure what the purpose might be. Anyone have ideas?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:30:57 am »
Yes, I saw the grooves did not go all the way across !! One reason wood is grooved in a similar fashion is to keep it flat !! Occassionally a large piece will curl if it gets damp !!