Author Topic: Please help! Allertons Tea cups  (Read 2125 times)

v.diva

• View Profile
Please help! Allertons Tea cups
« on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:59 pm »
Hi, hoping someone can help me, i recently received some tea cups and saucers etc after the death of my Grandad i believe they belonged to his parents. I have been searching on line to try and find out their age and possible value. I believe they are pre 1914 but i cannot find any listings about this particular design to find out for sure or to guess at a value. I think they are beautiful, i believe they are hand painted with that very delicate design. I find it strange that i have 3 cups, 1 plate and some kind of bowl (last pic) which are listed as being the same design by the same manufacturer which are a slightly different colour and the marking on the plate is the same as the rest but in a different colour. Any help would be really appreciated.
Thankyou xxx
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:21:06 pm by v.diva »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Please help! Allertons Tea cups
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:04:58 pm »
Ooops !!!  Pics did not show up !!  Please try again !!

v.diva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 02:21:56 pm »
Ooops !!!  Pics did not show up !!  Please try again !!
Photos on now
Thanks x

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 02:50:10 pm »
Chintz ware has always, and still is, popular with collectors !! But I think your pieces are transferware rather than hand painted !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:51:13 pm »
    Yes, they are transferware and not hand painted, to tell the difference look real close, with a loupe if you have one, and you will see that it is made of lots of tiny dots.  As for the set the bowl, would be considered a waste bowl, which come in a tea set to put spoons and waste in.  The larger plate would be considered a bread plate.  As far as tea cup collectors, the most popular are the Extra Fancy ones for overall looks, then you have Fancy and plain.  This one would be considered as plain, not that it makes the tea cup not cute, just a overall appearance issue.  Then of course, name, and cir. is considered in the value along with rarity, condition and etc.  A good basic value for most tea cups hovers around $20.00.  In your case here this tea cup would not necessary be a highly sought after one, unless they are needed to complete a set.   

v.diva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 03:51:09 pm »
Thank you both for your help xx
I am keeping most of the set (which is incomplete) as i am very attached to it. I am selling maybe 3 cups and a few saucers and plates as they won't fit on dresser. Would you recommend ebay to sell them and should i sell them all together, separately or i have seen sets of cup, saucer and plate sold together. Any advice would be great
Thankyou xxx

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »
I would do a place setting of cup saucer and plate if you have enough !!   Good luck on it !!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 06:19:59 pm by mart »

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:32:18 pm »
Yes I would sell a cup , saucer & plate  together this is called a trio set.  :)

v.diva

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:04:42 am »
Thanks again, i am so impressed! This is an amazingly friendly helpful site!! Has anyone any advice on how much to put the trio on for? Should i set a minimum start price?
Thanks again xx

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 12:39:33 pm »
I would look and see what comparable Allerton sets are selling for !! Not what they are asking for them but actually what they sell for !! Then go by that !! You don`t want to price your items out of reasonable range,, but you do want a fair market value !! So set the starting price close to your bottom line figure for the pieces and hope it goes up !! 

v.diva

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 07:36:59 am »
Thanks very much, i haven't been able to find this design at all but i'll try and find something similar to get some idea of price. xxx