Author Topic: Need help to figure out what this is called  (Read 4707 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Need help to figure out what this is called
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:05:13 pm »
     O.k. I'm pleading to you much more edumatcated bunch to see if you can help me cause this bohemian is stumped.   I have this silverplated Thing, which most likely goes with a tea set, but can't seem to figure out what to call it.  It has the basic design of a tea pot item, but has hooks all the the edge to hold spoon or so I would assume, first thought it was a kind of very large waste bowl to go with a tea set.  It is 9 1/2" Tall and 8" from handle to handlw, so would be a bit large for a waste bowl, basically a teapot in size.  Any ideals and or what you would call this thing.

waywardangler

Re: Need help to figure out what this is called
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:16:17 pm »
I am sure that has a proper name. I think you should polish it. It looks bluish and copperish to me now. Maybe it is a family sized sugar sampler?

This one is called a 'sugar bowl spoon holder' http://www.burchardgalleries.com/auctions/2004/nov2104/01images/l514.htm

I have looked at about 4 of these and that is what they call them. If you type in "sugar bowl spoon holder" on Google images, a number of examples pop up.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:30:06 pm by waywardangler »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:15:23 am »
    Well I guess you may be right, could not find many examples of it.  Only one showed up on ebay as that, but several showed up on goggle images.  Just is really big for a sugar bowl.   As for polishing it, I think I'll leave it alone, it has a wonderful look IMO, I don't think it has ever been used or polished in it history.  If anyone is intrested it was made by Toronto Silver Plate Co.  I assume early century, but not sure yet, just starting to process this item.  I did get it for $5.00 and hope to flip for around $20.00 at least, we will see.  Thanks for the leads wayward.

waywardangler

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:32:05 am »
Hmmm, here is one that sold for $60 "10" high, it is marked Standard Silver Co., Toronto 920 Special Hard White Metal" http://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=3831&aid=36594&lid=9837103#topoflot

Your piece is fancier than most so it should bring better than $20. I still think it should be polished as silver buyers are funny. I had a sterling cigarette case unpolished that I put on ebay below scrap price and got 0 bids. Polished it up and re-listed it and got more than my opening bid when it was unpolished and higher than scrap value. Go figure.

"TORONTO SILVER PLATE COMPANY - Toronto - Canada
Founded in 1882 by James A. Watts and others. In 1885 began the production of Holmes & Edwards flatware. The firm was purchased in 1914 by Wm. A. Rogers & Co Ltd (Canada). The mark ceased to be used in 1929"  http://www.silvercollection.it/AMERICANSILVERPLATEMARKSTZ.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 08:37:28 am by waywardangler »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:54:29 am »
     Guess I have found the opposite when coming to polishing silverplate.  I use to polish all my silver before posting, and sales was touch and go.  I stop polishing it and pretty much every piece I've posted has sold.  Beside I have to polish the other half's silver all the time esp come the holidays  :P.  It is worth more then $20.00 for sure but I usually set my low ball price at the point of getting at $10.00 profit for a item, and if it exceeds this that much better. 

waywardangler

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 08:59:34 am »
Maybe sterling buyers are the fickle ones. Do what works best for you. It looks like a fancy piece and should sell well. I hope you get a good price for it.

If you have to polish the other half's silver all the time, who polishes your half?  ;D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:24:24 pm »
LOL, I have to polish my own silver.   Thing is I bought all her silver for her, Next christmas she might just get stainless   ;D

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »
It's a silver confiturier  ;)  used for jam and preserves. A confiturier  is a preserve cupboard, like a pie safe......but add 'silver' and you'll come up with quite a few hits.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 02:14:00 pm »
   Cool thanks sapphire, that will help me sell it for sure.  did I mention you rock  ;)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 02:46:06 pm »
Is it just me or does "confiturier" sound way more expensive than sugar bowl?

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 02:50:17 pm »
Is it just me or does "confiturier" sound way more expensive than sugar bowl?

Shhhhh   :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »
    Yea as a sugar bowl, I would of just got maybe $20.00, but now I'm looking at retiring for at least a week now  ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:27 am »
Great job sapphire...beat me to it!  Sorry I have been off the forum....helping care for my father in law who is dying from cancer and am out of state. 

This type of item I would say polish that puppy.  You will big bucks on it if it polishes up nicely.

I generally don't polish up items for resale...but if they are unique/rare...I do!  Found this out from years of experience...just sayin!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 02:26:54 am »
KC, I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your father in law.  I pray that his passing is gentle and amidst the love of family.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 06:54:17 am »
Prayers sent to you, your father in  law  and your family KC <3