Author Topic: Need more info on Black Americana Wine Decanter  (Read 2149 times)

antiquemania

• View Profile
Need more info on Black Americana Wine Decanter
« on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:13 am »
Please help, there was a paper on that stated Late 1800's Baccaret Head butler Wine Decanter. I cannot find any additional information. Pics below.

Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need more info on Black Americana Wine Decanter
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:50:01 pm »
Need to see that label or paper as well as close up of bottom, if any marks on it !!  Baccarat is usually crystal !!  Have not seen anything like this piece !! Does the body part feel satiny ??

antiquemania

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »
Need to see that label or paper as well as close up of bottom, if any marks on it !!  Baccarat is usually crystal !!  Have not seen anything like this piece !! Does the body part feel satiny ??

It was just a piece of paper that the owner had wrote that herself. There are no marks on bottom or anywhere. Yes, body feels a little satiny. Hope that helps.

antiquemania

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »
Also.........note said Amethyst Head. Hope that helps!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »
     First make sure when you search you spell it Baccarat, this may help a bit, did a quick search of Baccarat Satin Glass, and did come up with a few images.  Baccarat stuff can be worth some $$ if not $$$, but you will need to make sure that is what you have.  Thus far I have only seen and had a few pieces of their crystal.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:20:49 pm »
Found these 2 same base but diffrent head http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1300767
http://www.maltergalleries.com/archives/auction05/oct2005/oct_2005.html  scroll down to Bottles # 2026
They did not have much information on this piece. I would send photos & info you have to an auction house like Skinner & see what they say.   good luck let us know what you find!!

kysfinest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 06:47:41 pm »
 ???   I really know nothing about this but by just looking at it and looking at the links above it seems to me that maybe the head doesn't go with the body?? There is tape around the neck so I wonder if it was broken and someone just put that head on there??

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:35 pm »
If its a wine decanter the head should fit the bottle perfectly !!  Especially if its Baccarat !!  Head looks a little odd to me too !! It looks like a cheaper made piece than the body,, what is the head made of ??  Is there damage to the mouth or just missing paint ???

waywardangler

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 07:23:27 pm »
The one on the liveauctioneers site sold for $200. I agree the head is not the same as the one here. The cork was plainly visible and it is absent on this one. The tape is suspicious as kysfinest mentioned. I highly doubt Skinner's will even reply on a $200 item because I do not think it is worth their time.  Is this head glass or hard rubber because it does not look like glass?