Author Topic: Pyrographed Pattern?  (Read 1475 times)

wldrnsqltr

• View Profile
Pyrographed Pattern?
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:48:29 am »
Is this a pyrographed pattern on my hexagon table top? Is there another name for it? I can only find one table that is even remotely like mine (more ornate and in MUCH better condition - http://www.revivalantiques.com/beautiful-1920s-hexagonal-table-i-3502.html) and it says the pattern is pyrographed. But a search for pyrographed pattern just gets me standard woodburning rather than anything like my table. Any suggestions?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Pyrographed Pattern?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 12:06:57 pm »
In my youth I was into woodburning, and when I got into my 20's I upgraded and got a high end woodburning which was called a pyrographic tool,  That is the fancy name for woodburning.  From the pic. It appears someone made a metal template and flame torched the top.  Guess this would also be consider as a pyrograhic technique too.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 12:52:43 pm »
Is this the same Norwegian table ??

wldrnsqltr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:16:58 pm »
Thanks for that info, Ironlord. Are there any other names? Or is this just not a common practice so there's no info to be found? It may be hard to see in my photo due to wear on the finish (and my amateur photography skills) but the "burned" areas are textured while the adjacent surface is smooth. Also, in real life, there isn't so much contrast between the two areas as it looks in the photo.

Yes, Mart - it's the same table that came from Norway. The link I posted to Revival Antiques has their table posted under Spanish Revival, Mediterranean and European Antiques and says it is from the 1920s. Beings mine came to the US around 80 or so years ago from Norway, it seems likely to be from the same time period. Although the woman brought it with her from Norway, I guess it doesn't have to actually be of Norwegian design, however.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »
No way to tell really where it came from originally !!  I don`t see any Mediteranean or Spanish influence but I really have not followed those styles other than what was produced in the US during the 70`s !!
 The burned areas would feel textured,,, that is normal with the burning process !! And it makes a nice variation in the smoothness of the top after finish is applied !!  Its still a very nice table !!