Author Topic: Early 1800's Knight Elkin Bowl  (Read 2394 times)

rush2112

• View Profile
Early 1800's Knight Elkin Bowl
« on: August 13, 2011, 05:32:53 pm »

Anyone know the rarity of this 1820's Knight Elkin bowl?

Thanks Tim

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Early 1800's Knight Elkin Bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:02 pm »
Can you give us a close-up shot of the hallmark on the bottom plus any additional hallmarks it may have? Have you identified the pattern? I'm guessing you may have if you have already identified the bowl as 1820's.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:48:48 pm »
Here's a chronilogical history of the company:

1820's A new earthenware pottery was set up in the Foley district of Staffordshire, England, to make mainly transfer decorated domestic wares.  Although proprietors changed as partners were added, retired, or family members joined the management, there were no complete changes, but rather a thread of continuity from the beginnings to the sale of the business in 1966. 
Early proprietors were Elkin Knight & Co. (1822-26), Knight Elkin & Bridgwood (1826-40, backstamps KEB and EKB), Knight Elkin & Co.(1840-47) and J.K.Knight (1847-52). Some used Foley Potteries in their backstamps. (Do not confuse with some other local potteries which also used Foley in their trade names or backstamps, such as E Brain, James Kent Old Foley).
1852  John King Knight took Henry Wileman as a partner. (Backstamps K&W and Knight & Wileman).
1856  Knight retired, Henry Wileman became sole proprietor, and added a china works in 1860. (Backstamp H. Wileman)
1862  Joseph B. Shelley joined the firm as a traveller.
1864  Henry Wileman died and sons James F. and Charles J. became proprietors. (Backstamps J&CW and J&C Wileman). 
1866  The business was divided and Charles ran the China Works, James the Earthenware Works. (Note that post 1872 Wileman & Co. backstamps, which have a large W and a large C, are sometimes misattributed to Charles Wileman, who is believed to have used C.J.W.).
1870  Charles retired and James became sole proprietor of both works. (See backstamps page).
1872  James Wileman (Henry's son) and Joseph Shelley became partners to run the china works trading as Wileman & Co., mainly making fine teaware, tableware and small china items. James ran the earthenware works separately until it closed in 1892, making heavier table wares, toilet sets, etc. (See backstamps page).
1884  James Wileman retired from the china works which became a Shelley family business, still trading as Wileman & Co., often with Foley China in the backstamps. A new earthenware factory was added in 1894 to make decorative larger items such as vases, pots, jugs, wall plaques, toilet sets & jelly moulds. 
1910  Wileman & Co. introduced the Shelley backstamp.
1925  The company name was changed from Wileman & Co. to Shelley Potteries.
1940's The earthenware factory was converted to china production.
1966  The company was sold to Allied English Potteries and the potteries were used to produce other brands of china.

Source: http://shelleyclub.com/page9.htm

rush2112

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:47:05 pm »
Can you give us a close-up shot of the hallmark on the bottom plus any additional hallmarks it may have? Have you identified the pattern? I'm guessing you may have if you have already identified the bowl as 1820's.

Thanks for the quick replies from everyone.Here is a close-up of the hallmark.It reads Elkin Knight & Co. and I assume the 1822-26 Company.
I gave it a sponge bath in water and some sunlight detergent but the yellowing appears to be permanent.
Am I correct to assume it sat somewhere with other dishes piled in it, possibly in a smokers house?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 09:13:44 pm »
     The most common reason of yellowing in old Dishes, is the Dish washer and then followed by not cleaning them right way.  The Dishwasher will start the grazing and then food and various stains will get into the porcelain or ceramic.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »
Also some amount of yellowing and crazing (crackling of the glaze) are all normal for such an old piece and should not affect the value. You've got multiple hallmarks there, and we're really going to need big, high-resolution pictures to make them out. Those blue circular ones and the text above the maker's name. I can't tell in the last image if those are letters or numbers, but I'm old as dirt and blind as a bat, LOL

rush2112

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 11:39:56 am »
Also some amount of yellowing and crazing (crackling of the glaze) are all normal for such an old piece and should not affect the value. You've got multiple hallmarks there, and we're really going to need big, high-resolution pictures to make them out. Those blue circular ones and the text above the maker's name. I can't tell in the last image if those are letters or numbers, but I'm old as dirt and blind as a bat, LOL

There is a impressed rectangle above the green hallmark, which says "Iron Stone China" [middle] and below that "Warranteed". Above Iron Stone China, it possibly says Elkin Knight & Co.
Because it's white on white, I doubt it won't show up with a macro pic.
I have no idea why the Flow Blue type dots are there.
Thanks again to all, for the information.