Author Topic: Iron & Brass Bed  (Read 1528 times)

tomcat1952

• View Profile
Iron & Brass Bed
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:39:38 am »
We have an iron bed with brass inserts that has been in our family for a long time.  I would like to know if anyone has an idea on the value of this bed.  It's going to be necessary to sell it to settle my Dad's estate.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a few pics.

Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: Iron & Brass Bed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:15:17 pm »
I see the bottom part looks like it has been painted,, was the headboard painted also ?? Is there a footboard with the bed or just the frame ?

tomcat1952

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:26:00 pm »
The footboard is identical, only shorter.  It is painted.  I think my dad removed the paint on the brass parts.   Only the scroll work at the top center of the headbord and footboard is brass.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:49:22 pm »
I can only say what it would sell for in my area and here in Texas it would probably be in the $500. range !!  It needs some restoration to bring top dollar !!  Its a very pretty bed though !!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:42:52 pm »
I love antique iron beds, I have two of them. Yours is unique and would bring about $300-$350 in my area (Seattle). It was made between about 1880 and 1900, give or take a few years.  A lot of people in my area love the chipping paint and the rust. We'd put a clear finish on it and use it as-is. ;)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:17:03 am »
What a lovely bed. It really is exceptionally pretty. I'd guesstimate the value in the San Francisco bay area to be about the same as Hosman's estimate for Seattle if you were selling it privately on craigslist or some other venue. It would get a bit more in a retail store.

It really is a lovely bed, it is too bad that it has to leave your family. Is there no way that someone in your family can purchase it? Once a special item like this leaves your family it can never ever be replaced. It is so much better for items to stay in the family if at all possible.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

tomcat1952

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 03:45:44 am »
Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the info.