Author Topic: Antique Bronze or brass bird  (Read 1851 times)

seeker1979

• View Profile
Antique Bronze or brass bird
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:51:07 am »
I have done extensive researching for the last three months on the possible maker, age, and value of this bird that I found while metal detecting a site of an 1817 cabin remains.  I have posted several inquires on metal detecting id sites to no avail.  Many people have guesses as to what the bird maybe paperweight, gate ornament etc. but no definite id's. 
Description: The weight is 4 3/4 oz it is 2 " tall and 4" in length.  The feathers appear to be stamped but the sides of the bird appears to be shaped by hand.  The metal is dark brown with some green patina, but when you photograph the bird it appears to be gold in color.  The tail feather on the bird is 2 Inches in length.  The feet of the bird are very large almost out of proportion, that's why people have concluded it may be a paperweight.  I have been unable to locate any type of makers' mark on the bird.  It was located about 8" in the ground and apppears to have weathered very well over the years.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

waywardangler

Re: Antique Bronze or brass bird
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »
It resembles the birds that Wilhelm Schimmel carved but , of course, that is no Schimmel.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 10:24:03 pm »
I can't really tell by your images , so I'm curious to know if the area of the casting (seems to be a cast-metal item) between the feet of the parrot-esque bird could be used for mounting it on a wall , or door ... (hat/coat-hook) ?
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:34:39 pm »
Is there anything on the bottom of the feet that looks like it may have been attached to something ?  Its kind of small for a fence or gate ornament. Actually looks South American to me !!

waywardangler

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:49 pm »
I have seen dug brass tokens and they tend to be black and very hard to clean while this bird looks pristine for being in the ground for years.

seeker1979

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:21 pm »
Is there anything on the bottom of the feet that looks like it may have been attached to something ?  Its kind of small for a fence or gate ornament. Actually looks South American to me !!

There is nothing on the bottom of the feet that would suggest that there was anything mounted to them.  I will try to take a picture and post on here in a little while....

seeker1979

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:44:09 pm »
I have seen dug brass tokens and they tend to be black and very hard to clean while this bird looks pristine for being in the ground for years.

I too noticed that, I am not 100% sure that its brass or bronze, that was just my guess...  I only cleaned the bird with water and a toothbrush after I dug it up.... keep in mind that to me the bird is a very dark brown... the flash of the camera makes it appear a gold color.  There are little bits of green oxidation as well as white spots on the bird as well.  Would you have any ideas as to what type of metal it maybe?

seeker1979

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:26:33 pm »
Here is a picture of the feet, as well as, a close up with no flash.  I hope this helps:}

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:11:55 pm »
Could be just slag metal , which might have anything in it !!