Author Topic: General glassware question  (Read 4903 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
General glassware question
« on: August 20, 2011, 03:53:13 pm »
Just wondering if all glassware that has any value has some type of mark on it?  I was looking through some glassware today that I have picked up along the way and some looks like very good quality but there are no marks on anything.  Planning to clean them up a bit tonight and take some pics but wasn't sure if it was worth it if there are no identifying marks.

mart

• View Profile
Re: General glassware question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 04:03:58 pm »
 No,, there are many that are unmarked !! Some depression glass is one type !!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:48:04 pm »
     For the most part Glassware is unmarked, only a small percentage is marked, and those are usually not the high end stuff. 

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »
Thank you both and since I tend to see a lot of glassware and have a lot, I am trying to learn more about it.  I know there is a ton of it out there and for the most part there is glassware overload.  Is it ok for me to post some pictures for any possible information so that I can begin gaining some knowledge?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »
     I would be more then happy to help, I love glassware too, It can be a daunting field, esp. Art Glass.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:24:59 pm »
I am still trying to get better at this photography - not good at understanding lighting etc.  Also my camera has a shake no matter how still I think I am but in any case I am attaching a pic of a blue bud vase with etching.  I don't think any of these things are worth anything - and may not be that old - but trying to learn.

Also attaching a pic of a glass bowl - green - with black band and gold on the inside.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:15 pm »
I am still trying to get better at this photography - not good at understanding lighting etc.  Also my camera has a shake no matter how still I think I am but in any case I am attaching a pic of a blue bud vase with etching.  I don't think any of these things are worth anything - and may not be that old - but trying to learn.

Also attaching a pic of a glass bowl - green - with black band and gold on the inside.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:32:57 pm »
Here's another set I have - odd number although I could make it a set of 6.  There is tea cups, saucers, dessert plates and a creamer.   Says Made in Japan on the bottom and is very delicate. It also seems maybe handpainted?  Some of the green color has run onto the bottom.  Hope it shows in these pictures.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »
     First thing about the taking picture and the shake, is you need to have more light.  It doesn't have to be a special set up, just lots of light.  Cameras will adjust the shutter speed to the amount of light, and if you get below 30th of a second it get really hard to hold steady.  If you don't have good lighting, then the best is natural lighting from like a window or even outside.  I use to be a photographer and can help you with this depending on what you are trying to achieve.  If just taking picture to post then what you have is just fine.  If you are going to sell on line, well I can give you pointers and what is needed but that aside.
     The first is is a pretty common Bud Vase, see these alot, even had or still have a couple, not worth a whole bunch except when you put a rose in it and give it to the lady  ;)  .  I am kinda intrested in the second item, this looks like a cool and unique platter or serving plate.  It has the Depression look and style, but would guess this to be more late century in age.  The shape has a cambridge look, but the motif on the Edge doesn't.  Overall it is unique and would be worth $10.00 to $20.00 without knowing more.  Of course if you can pinpoint maker and cir. Value can go up, mostly based on now people looking for that item can find it and that means $$.00 for sure.
     The Tea cup are probably late mid century to early late in age.  Made as exports, finding makers on these is next to impossible.  Import companies buy the stuff from many makers and send them here for Us to consume.  It does appear handpainted and also looks like what is called Eggshell, very thin porcelain.  Over all in the tea cup world Looks tend to first and foremost, follow really close to makers.  Basically you have three levels of looks, Plain, Fancy and Extra Fancy.  These are kind of between the plain and Fancy.  These overall are hard to sell but generally and Fancy one is worth about $20.00.  Hope this helps a bit. 
      The only other question I would have would be what you are doing with the items?  If they are for yourself, then Buy what you like and looks good with the decor, if you are buying to sell, well this is a whole different ballpark.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 06:20:06 am »
Thank you Ironlord for all of your knowledge and suggestions.  I guess that this has become a new interest for me - unusual items - antique items and especially glassware.  My interest has been peaked lately as I have been going through a huge amount of storage items of a very dear friend.  She is currently in a nursing home (she is only 48) and her whole family is deceased and I have power of attorney.  Her grandmother collected some very nice quality items, her mom picked up a lot of things at yard sales and I have my own yard sale finds.  As I am going through and sorting out and holding yard sales, some of these items have sparked a curiosity to learn more.  And of course now I am keeping my eyes open. 

It started with the wooden platter from Denmark that I posted about a while ago - then I found the Grindley platters in someone's trash as well as the green bowl.  Where I live is somewhat urban and people put the darndest things out with the trash and it is common around here to find some really good items.

Sure I would like to get a few dollars for some of the items but I would also like to learn more in general.  The way I see it is if I find something for free and even make $10 it's still a bargain  LOL.  Wondering if there are any beginner books for either antiques or particularly the glassware you might be able to recommend.

Again thank you for your time.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 06:55:47 am »
     For the most part Glassware is unmarked, only a small percentage is marked, and those are usually not the high end stuff

Ironlord, did you mis-speak there in?

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:22:28 am »
Oh and about the green serving bowl - it is a nice size and the black band and gold detail on the inside appear to be hand painted.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:26:58 am »
Cogar I thought the same ?? Many glass & crystal makers did mark pieces and are very very high end- Daum, Laique, Galle, Tiffany, Chihuly,Loetz, Zanetti to name just a few.  :)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 09:50:24 am »
      Maybe I should rephrase that a bit, Early glass was hardly ever marked, and later Glass was usually marked with Foil label, which are long since gone.  Most of all the nice Glass and Crystal I have has no markings, and must sometimes spend a lot of time looking a patterns in Books and online.  Now if I find any nice Glass that is marked I will snag it up, if not just to learn about that piece.  One thing to watch for is some of the high end Crystal companies Acid Etch the logo on the bottom, and this is not easy to see. Orrofors is a good example.   

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 09:55:22 am »
Edinburgh Crystal is another example of acid etched marks !! Need your cheaters for some of these marks !!