Author Topic: J Coatsworth & Son silver (?) cup  (Read 1303 times)

cjdavis

• View Profile
J Coatsworth & Son silver (?) cup
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:59:18 pm »
My grandma had this old 3" tall and 2 1/2" diameter metal cup that has the inscription "J Coatsworth & Son, Gallena Ill" on the bottom with "2 Warranted" (grade of metal?) inscription.  It has an old family member's initials (Will Stephens - WAS) inscripted on the front.  From our search on J Coatsworth and Son, we think it may be from the late 1800's but are not sure how long that company was around....   It sounds like they were manufacturers of clocks and watches.  We are trying to figure out the history of the cup.  Anyone have any insight?

mart

• View Profile
Re: J Coatsworth & Son silver (?) cup
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »
Found this little bit of info on the NAWCC site,, Your piece dates from the father J. Coatsworth,,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to the keen eye of a fellow member (thanks, Charlie!), I recently acquired this Elgin private label for 'J. W. Coatsworth' of Galena, Illinois. Doing some research in our family tree, I found that Joseph Walton Coatsworth was the third generation owner of a watch, clock and jewelry business that was started by his grandfather, Joseph Coatsworth, when he arrived in the United States in 1830. Joseph moved his business to Galena in 1854 and built a four story building on Main Street in 1856. (As a historical side note, he leased part of this building to J.R. Grant, Ulysses S. Grant's father, from 1858 to 1864. Ulysses S. Grant worked in his father's leather goods business for about a year just before the start of the Civil War.) Joseph passed the business on to his son, James who, in turn, passed it to his son, Joseph Walton. I'm not sure of the dates that these transitions occurred. John Fogarty's database contains a record of a private label Elgin, serial number 1230823, reportedly made for "J.W. Coatsworth & Son", although the dial and movement are simply marked "J.W.Coatsworth". James died in 1890, so the transition to Joseph Walton occurred at least by then. I have learned from Fred H. that at least two Illinois watches exist, marked "J.W. Coatsworth & Co." both from the 1890's.