Author Topic: Would these be candy dishes?  (Read 4229 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Would these be candy dishes?
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:22:56 pm »
I have two pair of crystal somethings  LOL  I would think candy dishes?

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Would these be candy dishes?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 06:23:50 pm »
Also the amber color is just the lighting - these are clear.  I shouldn't have said crystal - cut glass maybe?  Still learning.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 07:55:03 pm »
    I think 4 together will make a Relish Tray, a bit unsure though.  I can tell you the pattern is called Daisy and Button.  This pattern is about the most used pattern in the Glass world, done by about every glass maker out there.  First guess would be Anchor.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 07:58:29 pm »
Thank you again Ironlord.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:07:31 pm »
I see what you mean about the daisy and button design  :-)  Still curious as most of the relish sets I see do not have the "handles" as these do - wouldn't fit together.  Still looking.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:43 pm »
    Yea this is why I was also a bit unsure too.  Usually they came with a Tray usually silverplate that they set in and have a spot in the center for a small bowl, like for Dip, and then have celery and etc. along the edge.  MMMM makes we kind of Hungry. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:03 am »
Could be wrong , but wasn`t there one that was on an upright stand ?? It was a tidbit set that sort of doubled as a centerpiece. Looked like a spiral staircase !!  I think it was late 40`s or 50`s !!

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 10:27:52 am »
I'm no expert (really on anything) but I've learned a few tips for determining crystal vs. glass--in general, if you flick crystal with your finger it will make that musical "ping" sound, whereas glass will make more of a dull thud.  Glass often has seams to it (a line you can feel extruding from the piece) and not crystal; also, crystal will cast a rainbow "prism" glow if you shine light through it, whereas glass will usually just reflect the light straight.  Also take a magnifying glass and study the piece for any numbers, logos, or markings that can help you identify the piece.  There are a lot of great websites out there that have photos and identification for the markings on glassware, ceramics, crystal, china, etc.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:38:55 pm »
Okay, the top one definitely looks like a candy dish.

Don't know the dimensions...but the bottom one (if it is large enough) has a larger base for the fan....and there were styles made like this that help the punch glass (aka snack set).
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:48:43 pm »
Forgot about those snack sets KC !! I had some that had the little cups that set on the end,, think I still have one somewhere in storage !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 01:52:54 pm »
I don't think it is large enough to hold a cup unless real small - 2.5 inch diameter of circle.  The widest part of the fans for both sets is 10.5 inches.  I see no markings whatsoever.  Hmmmm still not sure.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 02:00:10 pm »
Ok just found this on Ebay - identical in size and style to the one with the fanned out end - not circular

Gorgeous sparkling victorian style tray. This tray has the daisy and button design and is likely made by Fenton circa 1937-1939. This beautiful fan shaped tray is7" from top to bottom and is 10 1/2" wide at its widest point. There are no chips, cracks or repairs. This lot is for one tray. Use for perfume or other items. Or use as snack trays at tea parties. Give these as gifts or collect them. We have several available. Please see our store for oter great ideas er great ideas.

Of course this says "likely" Fenton.  Not so sure - there is an identical one - smaller version made by Avon as well.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 02:02:54 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/avon-glass-fan-shaped-dish-/110714573818?pt=Antiques_Decorative_Arts&hash=item19c71a53fa

This one shows the exact one with the smaller circle and it says by Avon - hmmmm - no Avon marking on that but on the smaller version of the other design I have it does say Avon.

Well maybe they are all Avon at which point I will just crack myself up.  But looks like vanity trays?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 05:46:15 pm »
Avon Items was made by Fostoria.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 05:55:36 pm »
The smaller one is marked Avon - the larger ones aren't - so not sure.