Author Topic: An antique has to be how old?  (Read 4724 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
An antique has to be how old?
« on: August 22, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
I am trying to make sure that I post appropriately here as I am going through all this stuff in storage.  I just googled to see how old something has to be to be considered "antique" and came up with everything from 20 years to 100 years  LOL.  That leaves a huge span.   ???

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: An antique has to be how old?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »
     Here in the US 100 years is considered as antique.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:01:13 pm »
That's very helpful thank you Ironlord.  Then some of the items I have posted have definitely not been antiques but just collectibles or vintage?  Is there a particular time frame for something to be considered vintage?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:22:35 pm »
25 years would be Vintage.   But many items here get posted are not Antique but are welcomed anyway.  We see a lot of mid century items that are just as informative as antiques.  The 100 year rule is a import / export law, in some contries 50 years is Antiques, I think I heard this is the case in Canada, but better let some of our canadian folks answer that, and according to my Chinese friend, he really doesn't think of it being a antique unless it is 300 years.  Personnally I think anything older then me is antique  :D

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:37:51 pm »
Know the feeling - thanks again - didn't want to be posting items that I shouldn't. 

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 02:27:54 am »
HA, if only "minimum" 100 year old items were permitted to be posted ...... this would be a very dull Forum.  ;D ;D ;D ;D 

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:21:42 am »
Thanks Cogar  ;D I do find this forum fun and informative and active.  It has certainly peeked my curiosity and interest in so many different things.  Definitely fascinating and I just wanted to again say thank you to everyone who lends their opinions and expertise to those of us who might start out clueless but end up gaining a lot of knowledge.   ::)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:11:32 am »
Do  what I do,, just say collectable and that covers it all !!  Old and new !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »
Okay, slightly off topic, but along the lines of what people think is "really old" -- my college freshmen students had their first essays today, where they had to write about an ancestor they never knew personally.  You won't BELIEVE how many wrote about a great-grandparent, who was born into slavery in Georgia around 1903, or 1920.  The lesson for antiquing? -- if you're dealing with someone who thinks something from the 70s in an antique, you should probably not trust their knowledge of history.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »
And these are college freshman ???  Where were they during junior high ??

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 04:15:16 pm »
Oh my CC -

Interesting to know when they think the Civil War was fought (and why??).  Of course you may get essays on their grandparents then...
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »
Oh, I forgot my favorite! -- the student whose great-grantparent, having to work the farm during the Great Depression and not believing in slavery, put the kids to work on the farm.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 05:29:48 pm »
Oh, I forgot my favorite! -- the student whose great-grantparent, having to work the farm during the Great Depression and not believing in slavery, put the kids to work on the farm.

Bumping my head on the desk now. 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

galaxywomun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 07:00:44 pm »
gah--
just reading this and realized i am posting MAINLY vintage items.  is this ok??  there doesn't seem to be a vintage forum like this.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:24:41 pm »
Vintage will one day be Antique too  ;)   It would seem that most of the items I have is also Vintage and or Collectibles, but the knowledge of this will also lead to knowledge of antiques.  Actually go to any Antique mall or shop and you will see mostly Vintage for the most part.  These are loose Legal rules that wie are dealing with for sure.  I just make sure I never use the word Antique on items that I sell unless I'm sure.  Plus another funny thing about the work Antique is Cars are like 25 years I believe, and Many of us still use Antique Computers, Who still has a pentium 4   :D,