Author Topic: Blue Uncle Sam decanter  (Read 3530 times)

JMNeye

• View Profile
Blue Uncle Sam decanter
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:04:45 pm »
I have a decanter in the form of a drunk Uncle Sam sitting atop a whiskey barrel, pouring himself a drink. Best i can tell, its a Schafer and Vater decanter from the 30's-40's, but there are no marks that say so. It has  a four digit number on the bottom.it also has a matching tray. The words "What we want" are on the barrel. His hat is the cork. I dont have any pictures yet, but i would like to find out if this piece is something they reproduced. If they did, how can i tell if mine is a repop or an original. Also, if anyone could give me an approximate value that would be great. i apologize for the lack of photos, i am working on it. Any help will be appreciated.

(This is my first post, forgive me if I am doing something wrong.)

JMNeye

• View Profile
Re: Blue Uncle Sam decanter
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:06 pm »
photos

JMNeye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:45 pm »
another on

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:54:52 pm »
     I picked of a few decanters and have only done a little looking into them.  Most of mine are Beam Bottles, from the late 60's and 70's.  From what I have gathered thus far overall about decanter is, Figural Decanters really became popular in the late 60's and 70's, and Beam bottles really got the ball rolling.  The one's I have are well marked, even have a stafforshire one, I forgot what the whisky was.  Basically these bottles were made by a different manfacture then the Distillery, Beam for example had many makers for there bottles.  Overall value is moderate low, most are worth $10.00 to $20.00 overall, but seems to have a fair collector base.  As for yours, if truely that age, that would be just right after proabition, I would think the value would be greater, esp. since it has the tray.  Since yours has no marks to say one way or another, then research would be in order.  Basically I'm not sure I would believe the 30's or 40's, based on the time frame and popularity of figural Whiskey Bottles.  I would like to say, that it does look very unique and would bring $50.00 value on a sunny day.  But this is a blind guess

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:59:16 pm »
What is the number thats on it ?? Is on the tray and the bottle or just one piece ?? Any other marks of any kind ??
 I think its later than that date also but gotta find it first and see !! 
Can you take a pic of the bottom of each piece and post it ??

JMNeye

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 05:48:48 am »
Thank you ironlord, very informative.  Mart, the decanter has the numbers "2959" stamped on the bottom. the tray has no markings.  Thanks again for the help.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 06:13:25 am »
Good point ironlord !!! " if truely that age, that would be just right after Prohibition"   Then  the saying  "What we want" (meaning whiskey) would fit that time.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 06:15:19 am »
From these hits I'm thinking you have a 'Bols' gin decanter.  No luck with a date yet though.

http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/features/jimbeam/berniesbeam5/

"BOLS: Twenty-one listings for Bols decanters. One of the most interesting decanters is the one called the “Ballerina”. It is a clear glass decanter with a dancing lass and a music box base. It’s a pretty bottle but not expensive; value is $20.00. There are two higher priced bottles in their collection. The “Dutch Lady” valued at $150.00 and the “Uncle Sam” at $175.00. The other bottles range from $12.00 to $85.00. "

http://www.westcottdavid.com/Catalogue/Descriptions.html

"183. Porcelain bar figure advertising “Bols” gin featuring the figure of Uncle Sam seated on a barrel, Est (7”) high, mint, Est $75-125"

http://bottlesboozeandbackstories.blogspot.com/2010/02/prohibition-view-from-thuringa_17.html

"For example, the pottery produced a jolly Uncle Sam sitting on a barrel pouring himself a large drink from a large bottle. On the barrel is written -- What We Want. This was a clear message about the unpopularity of Prohibition. Uncle Sam’s hat comes off to decant the liquor. This figure came in blue and brown glazes and also in multicolored painted versions."

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 06:37:25 am »
Wee bit more  ;)

Something to look for.....

http://www.bergsengs.com/4_Schafer_Vater_History.html

"In 1972 the East German government took possession of the building and
destroyed all of the molds and the records that were left.
You will find pieces with the impressed mark of a nine-point star with a script “R”
inside the star. On rare occasions you will find this mark in blue ink under glaze.

The items are sometimes marked with a four-digit design number and a two-digit
artist mark. In addition or instead, pieces may have ‘Made In Germany’
The company
also manufactured items for sale under store names and those would not have the
impressed mark.

Definitely a Schafer and Vater bottle......

http://www.bergsengs.com/6_Schafer_And_Vater_Home_Page.html

Under List of Topics, scroll down to Uncle Sam's.  There's likely more info on that page or on the full website itself that I've missed.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:14:35 am »
Nice work Sapphire...  Very cool decanter!
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:24:54 am »
Good work Sapphire !!

JMNeye

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 10:26:15 am »
thank you to everyone that posted. One more question, what is the best way to find an approximate value? Find one on auction sites maybe?