Author Topic: Mounted Carving Set - Looks Old - Is it worth anything??  (Read 1823 times)

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
Mounted Carving Set - Looks Old - Is it worth anything??
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:14:36 pm »
First post! Woohoo!  ;D 

Anyways ... so i've got this cool old looking carving set.  The blades are pretty tarnished and its framed in a glass, brass and wood serving tray with handles. The metal looks a bit worn and used - is possibly silver or silver plated but no stamps are visible. The backside is felt.  It's really well framed and mounted so I was hoping that maybe that meant it held some sort of value.  The handles appear to be bone-like material as well.  If anyone has any information on these it would be excellent as i've had no luck online at all ???  Thanks and take care!  8)

Grandma

mart

• View Profile
Re: Mounted Carving Set - Looks Old - Is it worth anything??
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:20:42 am »
How did you acquire this set ??  Is it a family piece or did you purchase the framed set ??  Your general location will also help !!  The handles appear to be staghorn but the design is quite unique !!  More like German sets !!
My first thought was,,, why would someone mount and frame a carving set ?? Perhaps a historical connection or a very rare set ?? 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:32:56 am by mart »

mygrandmasattic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:18:34 am »
This set was purchased from a local auction up here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  We paid a bit for the piece just because it seemed very unique to us and had a sort of draw to it.  The material that the handles are made of appear to be different from eachother - or at least they have a different tone to them.  ???  I have been curious if there are any markings on the other side however I do not want to open this item in fear of damaging the beautiful frame that it is in.  :-[  Thanks for the response!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 08:09:40 pm »
The pieces do resemble staghorn, I agree.  Nice more intricate set.  Not uncommon to see these mounted and displayed since they have lost their prominance in households (carving sets use to be a must have and are no longer required).

Most likely a family keepsake that was passed down.  
I can tell you that the frame looks exactly like some I had that I purchased new in 1974.  This style was very popular in late 60's to 70's.

Would like to see more and if any marks....but agree wouldn't unmount!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:11:56 pm by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 08:59:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum mygrandmasattic!!

Have you had a very close look (as best you can) at the entire blade of the knife, especially up near the handle for any hint of markings?  Also on the decorative band.....a magnifying glass or loupe would be indispensable.

Just flipping through images and hits, it certainly resembles a Harrison Bros or Harrison and Howson.  I believe they were still around in the 30's but established in the 1700's. Too bad that set is so well mounted as hands on would certainly help.

Here's an example of one of their pieces........

http://www.steptoesyard.com/product.php?id_product=83

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 10:09:49 am »
I found what seems to be the exact same pair while sorting and pricing antiques at work last week. The ones I found were not in a frame. If they are the same the lighter handle on the knife appeared to be similar to Bakelite. There was a pattern to them that reminded me of a post here that talked about fake ivory. The fork did appear to be the same as the knife but was done really well that I am not 100% its not bone.

I am trying to remember if these had the makers mark or not. I believe after doing some basic research I priced them separately at $25.00 ish a piece. Now keep in mind that I work for a Thrift store which affects my pricing to a extent. I cannot price like a antique store. Oh and the mark I looked up was German from the 30?s I think.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 11:05:30 am »
I am sorry I am remiss in welcoming you to the forum!  Welcome.

I do believe that your set is one of the nicer sets from the past. Antler and bone carving sets were prestigious and many had sterling end caps (are yours monogramed?)  These were some of the nicest gifts you could give!  Do believe you also have a sterling collar (connector at the blade).

Depending on who made it (marks) it can be worth more!

Average set of great quality sells in range of $75 to $180  (if able to designate it is from Victorian times it is worth more)!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!