Author Topic: How I figured my saki bowls were occupied Japan  (Read 1923 times)

JKoski53

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/83/poem_628820.html<br>
How I figured my saki bowls were occupied Japan
« on: July 15, 2004, 07:32:01 pm »
Through my researching I have read that The trade marks of occupied Japan pre 1891 was symbols or the artist's name.1891 the export laws said that they had to have the country's name on it.Nippon is the Japanese name for Japan.So Nippon was the name that the Japanese chose to use for their exporting.The word Nippon was used until 1921,where then the Japanese changed the name Nippon to Japan, as it remains up to this date in time. My bowls have Japanese symbols as their trademarks,In addition to a symbol the name F.S.Louie-Berkeley is on the one bowl. This helped me to date my bowls pre-1891! I also read about the Ho Ho Bird and Dragon being Berkeley's favorite design and he used it in most of his works.The Ho Ho Bird has the body of a pheasant and a tail of a Peacock.This also decribes my bowls..Hope this has answered your question. I know I have a lot more questions to find answers to. Thank You for your interest and your question. I have a lot to learn but loving every minute..JKoski53
 :rolleyes:  :D  

D&b antiques

• View Profile
How I figured my saki bowls were occupied Japan
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 04:59:53 pm »
:huh: well england required, there name or trademark after 1891. nippon  means japan.they were required to show country of export. about 1921. the time frame for occupied japan, was 1945 to 1952. so you have one piece showing exporter's name and one not intended for export