Author Topic: Park-o-meter something or other, but not a parking meter.  (Read 1776 times)

DirtySix

• View Profile
Park-o-meter something or other, but not a parking meter.
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:52:35 am »
Found this digging around today. As far as my powers of deduction can discern, it's a device meant to hold change (quarters and nickles, depending on what said you use) and as a way to keep track of when you park so you don't overstay. Have no idea what it's called/worth. A moderate amount of searching hasn't yielded much since any search for park-o-meter brand stuff has only actual meters and I don't know any sort of technical term for this.

Any help?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Park-o-meter something or other, but not a parking meter.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:45:41 am »
See some letters on it can you tell us what they are as well as anything else written on it ??   It is small ??  Almost looks like one of the things that was used instead of change in a parking meter then retrieved !!

DirtySix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:13:37 pm »
My mistake, the letters on the dial there only say "PARK O METER" which is the only reason I knew the brand.

Around that, there are numbers arranged like a clock. The smaller inner dial turns and has a hoop so you can select a number, and then the inner knob has a pointer that will do the same, which is why I assume it's meant to mark what time you dropped change in.

The other device is a spring-loaded thing. One side perfectly fits quarters and could probably hold a couple dollars worth of quarters, and the other side looks like it holds nickels or dimes.

As for the size, the keyboard its on is pretty good for judging the size. definitely pocket sized.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:26:03 pm by DirtySix »

DirtySix

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:20:56 pm »
Some more detailed pictures.

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:18 pm »
Looks like a token/change-holder (and possibly 'keyring') , with a 'meter-minder' assembly , my best guess is 1950's , when POM was in more or less it's heyday .

Not too high in value <$15.00 USD , but a neat little item !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 01:37:05 pm »
Oh !!  That explains more !!  Not what I thought it was !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:21:50 pm »
Yepper...remember seeing these.  Are from the 50's era.  Change to pay for parking and a clock to mark the time you had to be back to add more money!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

DirtySix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 07:12:52 pm »
Thanks for the help guys. "Meter minder" was the term I was looking for. Think I'll be hanging onto it just because it's such a cool little vintage piece. Lots of intricate etching and stuff along the edges that are hard to make out thanks to poor photos.