Author Topic: Antique child sized rocker - lg pix and close ups  (Read 4020 times)

boofweef

• View Profile
Antique child sized rocker - lg pix and close ups
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:41:39 am »
I have this rocker that used to be my mothers when she was a little girl (she's now in her 70's) and her father had bought it for her from St. Vincents thrift store for Christmas when she was little... so it was purchased used.   I cannot find any markings on it what so ever.  The chair is in great shape, original finish.  All the original hardware.  I've searched online and I can't find another chair like it anywhere.  I'm interested in finding out its history.. where it might have come from and when (i know it was bought from the thrift store in Milwaukee approximately 1945)...I am VERY green when it comes to antiques so ANY help would be appreciated!!  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66900836@N08/6082757987/in/photostream/

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:23:28 pm by boofweef »

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Antique child sized rocker
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 07:47:54 am »
What a great little rocker! Are you able to post larger pictures? From what I can see, it looks mission style (1910's-20s-ish). I will see what the others say though because I'm not an expert. Welcome to the forum. :)

boofweef

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 08:05:26 am »
Thank you!  That's was what I was thinking as well.  I'm just wondering if this was from a company or if its hand made - I will see what I can do about posting larger pictures. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:41:52 am »
From what I can see it does appear to be a nice little piece of Mission oak !!  Larger pics will sure help !!

boofweef

• View Profile
updated pics - larger?
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:21:27 am »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Antique child sized rocker - lg pix now
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:15:51 pm »
If you could get some up-close pictures of the hardware that would help. Look at those holes in the bottoms of the rockers. If you see pegs it could be older than Hosman's estimate, but I suspect you will see slotted screw heads in there. If so, look very carefully at the slots and see if they are a little off-center. That would indicate that they are older screws with the slots added into the heads by hand. If they look very uniform and if you can see circular machining marks on the heads of the screws, they would be newer and would date from Hosman's time and up. If you see Phillips head screws it would indicate 1930's or later production. Look at the wood for any signs of tool marks. Circular patterns indicate machine-cut wood with a circular saw. If it is very old, you could see some signs of hand tool marks. I'm betting Hosman is about right on the date. It looks to be a very well-made, sturdy chair, more nicely made than you would typically expect from a child's chair. Very nice!! Please report back on what you find.  :)

Antiqueaholic in recovery

boofweef

• View Profile
Re: Antique child sized rocker - lg pix and close ups
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:55 pm »
I wasn't able to see any tool marks at all, but I really don't know what I'm looking for.  I have included some close ups of the hardware on that link now.   It is a VERY sturdy little chair.  Very well made.  (sorry for the dust in the pictures :) )

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 12:32:14 pm »
I think Hosman is right on the time frame and that it was a manufactured piece rather that a home made one !! Not much way you could pin down a maker since rarely were these ever marked !!  You might search the net and find it or at least something similar !!  I will look and see what I can find !!  Value for something like this in my area would be about $75. !!
Something else I didn`t think of is that its possibly an Amish made chair !!  Looks similar to some of their early ones !!  They are such excellent craftsmen that it would have survived the years in great condition as yours is !!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:54:51 pm by mart »

gardenspotgal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:53 pm »
I had a child's red painted rocker that was mine when I was a child in the 40's.  When DH and I moved to a retirement community in 2008 we sent it to an auction house to be sold, along with other items.  It brought less than $25!  :o I was shocked.  I hope you have better luck with your rocker if you sell it.

boofweef

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 06:51:44 pm »
I honestly don't think I could or would sell it. It has a lot of sentimental value and its such a sturdy little chair I think I'll save it for my grandkids someday.... and hopefully keep passing it down.   

(now, if someone offered me millions... I just might take it ;)  haha  )

THanks for your help everyone!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:42:08 pm »
The style is more typical of later 20's to 30's....so hosman done good again!!!! 

Still have my little one that I had as a kid but can't fit in it....so I guess you can say I am off my rocker!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 12:43:41 am »
I'm so glad that you are keeping it in your family. It is wonderful and unfortunately rockers are terribly under-appreciated. They just don't sell well and you don't get much for them unless they are incredibly rare or unusual.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

Redfrog42

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:32 am »
Nice rocker! I also have mine from childhood. It just hit vintage this year lol. I can still fit in it  :D However we don't use it since my kiddos can seem to stop "breaking" it. I had it repaired last year but then someone too big tired to use it again or it was rocked too hard and the rockers came loos again. I guess its off to the carpenter again *sigh*

boofweef

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »
I have spent days searching the internet and still can't find a chair even similar.... everything has either a straight head/back rest thing or its rounded but has spindles.   Nothing even close. 

As far as my tushy getting into it... haha yeah, thats not going to happen... one - it won't fit... and two - I really don't think I could squat that low!! haha!  I'll just have to put it up for the grandkids (which is still a ways off I hope!!)

Thanks again for everyones help :) 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 02:30:48 pm »
If you have an Amish community near you I would take it to them and see if the style and joinery look familiar !!  Its almost impossible to track some of these things down !!