Author Topic: I found this Philip Morris Tobacco Tin and Need help finding Info on it...  (Read 3470 times)

deadset69

• View Profile
Hey there...found this tin yesterday at an antique shop and can't find any info on it...any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
If I am understanding this history of the Phillip Morris Co correctly, this would date to pre-1907 because it looks like that was the point at which their operations shifted to the USA. http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=History_of_Philip_Morris This could be a pretty early tin and "tobaccoana" items can be quite collectable. This does not look like the tins of the early 1900's, so I think you've got a 19th century tin. Just how far back is the question. There are a whole bunch of tobacco museums. If you google tobacco museum online you'll get a whole list. These would be a quick way to get a date on it. Let us know what you find out!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
Is there anything on the bottom ??

deadset69

• View Profile
A couple more pics!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Could you please post side shots front and back?  Thanks!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

deadset69

• View Profile
back and front of tin...

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Interesting that I do not see any signs of lead solder on the seams. Seeing the inside, it appears to have been formed, maybe while heated? I'm not sure when this technology came into existance but it would help to date it. I think the tobacco museums are going to be your best bet for a quick answer on the age. I contacted one about a stichery I have made from "tobacco silks", which are little printed silk pieces (mine have pictures of actresses from about 1910) these came in cigarette packs like trading cards back in those days. The idea was that the wife would encourage her husband to smoke more to get the silks, which she would then sew into quilts and pillows. Anyway, the museum I called was very nice and willing to help with information.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Morris was selling plugs into the early 1900's...here's an example of a plug ad from 1911!

However, the clue here is the trademark exhibited on your piece..."On Friday, November 25, 1938, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for PM & CO. by Philip Morris Incorporated, New York, NY 10017."  Which dates this after 1938 and most likely a decorative item from the late 50's onward. The USPTO has given the PM & CO. trademark serial number of 71413140. The current federal status of this trademark filing is EXPIRED. The correspondent listed for PM & CO. is ???????????????????????????????????????? of , , . The PM & CO. trademark is filed in the category of Rubber Products . The description provided to the USPTO for PM & CO. is CIGARETTES." As indicated by Trademarkia.

Believe that your item is a ephermeral decorative item sold most likely in late/middle to late 1900's.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:44:52 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
This one has the London address rather than NY ,, it would have to be prior to 1902 !!  I have looked everywhere I can think of and cannot find a list of Philip Morris products or a reference to this one anywhere !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Mart please note the trademark information on my post above!  I modified and your must have gotten your post in before I finished.  Sorry.

Betting this is around the time this tin was made.... "By the mid-1950s the Company had become a part of American culture, and soon after it launched Philip Morris International to manufacture and market its products around the world." PMI.com - Our History.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:50:47 am by KC »

deadset69

• View Profile
You guys are awesome!  Enjoying the information! I can't find anything on this anywhere either!  Researching the dates though...possibly narrowed it down to somewhere between 1885 and 1900 based on the Philip Morris timeline!

mart

• View Profile
I am not following K.C. !!  1874 I think, was the date for the incorporation And the coronet on your pic, as trademark, wasn`t applied for till 1919 !! The one in question is different !!  Is there something I am missing ??

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Sorry Mart.....I was random above....the pic above isn't the trademarked item...just an ad.  The trademarked logo was the one on the tin in question.