Author Topic: Help ID this display like frame case.  (Read 2674 times)

LANDISIMO

• View Profile
Help ID this display like frame case.
« on: August 27, 2011, 07:55:45 pm »
Picked this up at a yard sale today. The owners thought it was a table of some sort but i don't think that's the case. It is about 3'x2' and weighs about 20-30 pounds. The glass is about 1/2" thick. The only markings i found are a "star" on the 3 braces on the backside. Behind the glass is a 1'2" cotton or wool pad. There is no space in between the glass and the padding. Actually when closing the case, there is pressure pushing down on the padding. The metal clips under the braces kind of act like springs.
Hopefully i link the photos correctly.
Thanks in advance for any info

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Help ID this display like frame case.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 08:11:06 pm »
Welcome to the forum! That is really cool, whatever it is! I'm just as curious as you are about what it is. :)
Does look late 1800s-early 1900s. That's about all I can say. :P I bet someone will chime in and know exactly what it is.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 08:28:02 pm »
One little tip. Sometimes patent dates or numbers are hidden in the craziest places and can be very small. It seems that something like this would surely have something on either a metal piece or the wood. Then it would be pretty easy to identify. Are you able to take it apart?

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:56:32 pm »
Looks like a nicely made ('commercial/grown-up' grade) old specimen press to me (flora/fauna) .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:30 pm »
or Butterflies  ;)

LANDISIMO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 11:21:43 pm »
hossman, thanks for the info. Yes, i am able to take it apart. I'll have a closer look for other markings.
My girlfriend actually thought it was some kind of butterfly case but i'm pretty sure it isn't for insects since there is no space in between the glass and the padding. This would cause them to be squished up against the glass. But maybe for flora

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 07:57:00 am »
Early in the 1900`s butterfly collecting was popular And I think that is probably what this is or at least something similar !! Since the padding gives it would not damage the specimen and besides,, when they are dry there is not much to squish !! What I am wondering about is why it is made as it is for something that weighs almost nothing !!  Back appears to be made for something heavy !! I used to collect Indian artifacts and your item would have sure been perfect for that since flint and stone in general is heavy !! And with the glass pressing against the padding the items could have been interchanged without attaching with wire or glue as we used to do !!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 08:00:01 am by mart »

LANDISIMO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
Interesting info mart! I really appreciate it! Am I correct to assume these weren't meant fOr hanging on a wall? This thing is heavy.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 04:47:05 pm »
Looking at the pic of the back,, the top is different from the bottom !!  I am talking about the metal that holds the wood to the frame !!  The top on it looks like latches but the bottom is fixed !!   Do the wood pieces come off ???

LANDISIMO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 03:26:03 pm »
sorry for the late reply. I've been away. Here are some more pics. you can see in the pics the pressure that is released from the metal clips once unscrewed. It then just slides out from the otherside. All 3 braces are removed this way. All three have 2 metal clips screwed on to them. I also took a pic of the only mark i can find.

LANDISIMO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 01:51:24 pm »
Hey guys, i'm resurrecting my old Thread. Looking for info on the value of this case. I have yet to find one similar to it.