Author Topic: Scrap or sell?  (Read 2944 times)

stloubrew

• View Profile
Scrap or sell?
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:46:52 pm »
Hello all, I am new to the forum and have a few questions about this large copper tray? I say take it to the scrap yard the wife says find out about it first. She had picked this up at a thrift store for about $5.00 on half price day about 6 or 7 years ago. I haven't been able to find another one like it so I've decided to post some pics. The tray is about 22 1/2" x 38 1/4" and made of copper. It weighs 11 lbs. I don't think it is antique but I'm not exactly sure. Maybe someone could give me advice on what it is? or used for? how old? or if it's worth putting on EBay? lol. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

kysfinest

• View Profile
Re: Scrap or sell?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:32:37 pm »
although this isn't the exact same as your tray maybe it will help some of the others here in identifing yours.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Copper-Tray-Turkish-Ottoman-13-x-17-/110734386913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c848a6e1
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:49:19 pm by kysfinest »

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:11:24 pm »
    Please don't scrap that for sure.  I know that 11 lbs. of copper may make the item hard to sell to match that.  But sure looks Antique to me if not getting close.  For sure looks Turkish in nature, and has some wonderful scroll work on the item.   This is a unique and old item, that will easy find a good home if on the market. 

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:16:37 pm »
My goodness, don't scrap it!!  I was just at an auction last week where an old heavy copper pot went for over $500.  People like old heavy copper stuff for sure!  Find out what you can about it and then put it on eBay!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:10:32 pm »
Nice big ole serving tray , stloubrew !

When a person considers the amount of time it took to carve the details on your item (by hand) , that alone affects price , and the real potential for a collector to hold on to this one till it reaches 100 yrs old .

Serving trays such as yours are obviously large , for servin' up the vittles to a croud ; common usage for these are @ Ramadan , weddings & any old time you get the big gang together .

The painful part of these types of craftsman-produced items is that the wages for the workmen are profoundly low & the work is extra dirty .
The flip side of this is that yours is a useful & practical household/restaurant  item , esp for those of middle-eastern cultures !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 12:11:14 am »
If this is as large as I think it is....I would so be making a table out of that if I had my hands on it!  WOW....nice piece.  Even if it isn't worth a zillion by itself....an upcycle and that is worth a heck-of-alot more!  (What are the dimensions?)
You could make a base with the same concept as this one

I have a really large round one that I affixed a hanger to in the back and it is a wall art piece!

Decorators LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff!!!!

Depending on the size/weight....this would sell for $$$ in my area!!!!  Isn't that a Gazelle around the edges?  The Gazelle is very notable in Islamic n Arabic art/poetry and originates from the constellations. Found often in Turkish/Persian/Arabic/Moroccan/African arts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 12:36:05 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:49:19 am »
Table bases like the one K.C. has shown are readily found at thrift stores and garage sales !!  I have a very similar one !!  And it would be a nice patio table if you choose not to sell it !! And like they said,,, decorators love this stuff !!  Copper pieces are very high right now !! Its too good a piece to scrap !!

stloubrew

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 08:06:38 pm »
I want to say many thanks to each one of you for your input! Looks like it won't be getting scrapped. The table ideas are interesting. I can't imagine the time it took to engrave this by hand. Sounds as if this piece could be unique? My first impression was it was sold at some decorating store or something. We will prolly hang on to it for awhile unless a box this size falls in my hands, then it might be listed on Ebay lol. Thanks again. What a great forum!

Steve

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:46:12 pm »
I would start by showing your photo to a friend who speaks Arabic. One of the cool things about the language is that it has remained virtually unchanged for centuries, in the interest of preserving the Qur'an in its original form. You should easily be able to get the text in the center translated. If you don't known anyone who speaks Arabic let me know and I'll show it to a friend.

You gave two options- scrap or sell, but I'm going to go with option number three... KEEP IT!  ;D
Antiqueaholic in recovery

stloubrew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 06:53:16 am »
Talesofthesevenseas, We have searched the internet trying to translate the text, without success so far. If you happen to mention it to your friend, we would love to know what it means! I thank you both very much for your time. We also like your option number three but with limited room for displaying properly, it will have to go back in a storage area for now. Thanks again,

Steve

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »
I sent my friend a message and should have a translation for you shortly.  :)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 03:22:43 pm »
Your tray says "Praise to Allah my God."

stloubrew

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 09:18:09 am »
Thanks for the info once again!