Author Topic: Brass Crib  (Read 1559 times)

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
Brass Crib
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:27:05 am »
Picked up an old brass crib frame at a farm auction the other day. My only problem is that the center spindle is missing on both pieces. Would it be worth replacing the spindle with a non original piece of brass, option 2 is to just leave it as is.

This is something I am intending to sell, so not sure which would be best for this item. No maker's mark on it, so not sure of the age. Heavy as can be though! Must be worth more than the $10 I paid for it!

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Brass Crib
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:47 am »
That looks to me like the headboard and footboard for a single bed or twin bed. You need to find a couple metal rails that will fit those "slip joints" on the legs.

"Polished" up it should be worth more than junking it out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:29:16 am »
It is a single bed probably a bit smaller than a twin bed !! I would sell it as a youth bed as those rails are not too hard to find !!  Would look great in a boys bedroom and they sure couldn`t tear it up or break it !! I would look for a couple of pieces of decorative scroll to put where the center spindle was !!  Just to dress it up !!

CuriousCollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »
An old single bed -- and for that matter, old cribs! -- make great day beds!  For a crib, just take down one side, decorate with your favorite fabrics and nice pillows, and you have a lovely piece.  We have DH's dad's crib and want to do this, but we have no room for  a daybed -- yet!

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 01:13:33 pm »
Went out to a place that has numerous old brass beds today. Couldn't find the side rails or any old spindles that matched. Think I will keep this piece for now, but will keep my eyes open for the missing pieces. Anyone know what the side rails look like that fit into the head and footboards?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:51:05 pm »
Look like most others except that the end will have a thick metal piece that fits into the open end of your head/foot board !!  It just slides in !!