Author Topic: WASH STAND- Need info  (Read 1868 times)

Heichelheim

• View Profile
WASH STAND- Need info
« on: August 30, 2011, 09:14:56 am »
I recently purchased a wash stand at an estate auction.  I don't know much about it.  The previous owners painted it, but it was originally a dark wood veneer.  It has  beautiful claw feet.  I would like to know how to identify it and maybe an approximate value.
Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
Re: WASH STAND- Need info
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:20:40 pm »
Can we get detail pics ??  Sides of drawer, inside doors, hinges, back of washstand !!  Its Empire in style, can`t tell if it is early or late period without detail pics. Did you strip the drawer front ??  Looks like oak but is possibly veneered as much of it was in the late empire period !! They also used a lot of faux finishing techniques on furniture !!

Heichelheim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:26:33 pm »
Yes, let me take some detailed pictures and get them posted.  Thank you!!

Heichelheim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:13 pm »
Here is the first set of pictures.  Some of the detail is hard to see.  The paint job on it covered up a lot.  I will post the rest next.

Heichelheim

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:55:29 pm »
Here are the rest.  In one, you can see some of what I believe was the original veneer under the paint.  In another, those are the hinges that attach the mirror to the columns.  The hinges on the doors didn't come out very clear, but had so much paint on them that its hard to tell anything about them.  I didn't strip the drawer front- it was like that, but I believe it is where the veneer peeled off.
Thanks!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:33 pm »
It looks like it was made later than I first imagined. I will vote for late 1800's, about 1895. Those look like machine cut dovetails. But I'll see what the others say. If it is late 1800s, it would probably sell for about $200 in my area. Only because someone would have to do a lot of work to get back down to that wood. Cool piece!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 07:26:29 pm »
Those feet and the construction say late Empire,,anywhere between 1890 and about 1920 give or take a year or two !! Looks like oak but can`t see that well in pics and could possibly be veneered but rarely were the tops veneered because it would have been used with water but you never know !! They are unusual to find with that type mirror and it would possibly have had a towel rack somewhere !!  Look on one of the sides for holes where it would have attached if it had one. May be able to see them from the inside !!  Mirror is original and that is good !!  Late Empire furniture is essentially a remake of furniture made in the 1700`s !!  Value wise Hosman is about right depending on area, about $200 as is. Refinished,, a little more but not that much !! The dark finish was possibly from the red varnish that some used !! It tended to darken with age and almost took on a mahogany look !!

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:48:36 pm »
Came across a slightly similar (though not as decorative) one.......

http://www.crescentcityauctiongallery.com/7.19.08.asp?searchc=451

July, 2008

Lot #461

Description: American Carved Oak Washstand, c. 1900, the back with a rolling pin top over a beveled mirror above a towel rail, on a base with a single frieze drawer above bowed double cupboards, the whole on paw feet on casters, H.- 74 1/4 in., W.- 35 in., D.- 20 in.
Click here to view a larger picture.

Estimated Price: 200-300
Final Sale Price: $  ?