Author Topic: Cranberry Hobnail with Nails...Literally  (Read 14471 times)

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
Re: Cranberry Hobnail with Nails...Literally
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »
    O.k. Wow I just got what you mean by nail.  That is wierd for sure.  O.k. I think the artist of this piece was having some fun.  O.k.  I'm starting to think you have something really special here.  I would suggest finding a Fenton Forum on this one.  Have I said Wow yet  :o

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 08:55:05 pm »
Oh no problem, I'll look thru it.  I got 430 pages of results I meant to say and I was just like wow...you found that fast.  No wonder you're a "Hero" member  ;)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:49 pm »
Yeah, this one looks a lot like it, but with a different rim...would it be possible though for mine to be so much darker at the base than this?  Can that coloring vary?  http://www.replacements.com/webquote/FENHOBCRA.htm#6950290

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 09:00:05 pm »
Learned it all here, and since I check this site about every few minutes I near the computer, I have logged myself several hours of reasech in the past three years. believe me it won't be long before you will beat me to the Punch.  Beside I'm still not as fast as some of the others here, esp.  Sapphire, Windy and a few other, they got a draw that is amazing  ;D

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 09:03:19 pm »
I found the milk glass one you saw I think...it says:
FENTON CRYSTAL Hobnail-Milk Glass
Description:  Milk Glass 
Piece Name:  4" 8 Point Crimped Cupped Miniature Vase
Piece Code:  VMC8P4
Pattern Code:  FENHOBN
Price:  Out of Stock - 1) Click Link Below, 2) Scroll Down, 3) Request "Find This For Me!"
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/FENHOBN.htm
And the link doesn't go anywhere because they don't have it, just the image of it shows up in the search results.  The pattern on the milk glass version says discontinued 1948 (but of course the cranberry one could be a different year...still lookin').

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 09:04:02 pm »
   Colors vary a bit between pieces but not by a whole lot.  Most Glass companies you can see the difference in their colors for sure, but the color within a glass company is pretty consisitance.   But looking at the fact that you have a rouge artist here that would of had to put the nails in the bottom maybe He/She decided to tweek the color a bit.  I am just amazed at this piece of sure.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 09:08:02 pm »
Thanks!!!  I hope it's something special because I accidentally ended up paying $35 for it.  I think I will look for a Fenton forum and see if that might lead to a "lead" too.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 09:10:23 pm »
PS LOL @ "rogue artist"!  :D

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:40 pm »
30.00 is for sure not bad at all, I just spent 35.00 on my new piece of Fenton at a auction, I have a peacock Feather carnival glass compote, it is most beaufitul for sure, but It does not have a nail in the bottom.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 09:27:10 pm »
Ooooo a Fenton peacock carnival compote, I'm jealous for sure!!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 09:40:02 pm »
   Yea it was a cool item, I went to the auction, I did not preview the item, when I first saw it I thought it might actually be a Northwood, cause of the color, but when I got home it turned out to be a fenton.  Worth about what I paid for it, maybe a bit more, we will see when I put it up and see what happens.  Anyway Here is my new fenton Beauty

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 09:52:03 pm »
Wow, that is beautiful!!  I'm looking in the Warmon's Fenton Guide and the carnival bowls differ in price from $20-7500...that's a big gap!  Maybe you should try to pin it down first so you don't accidentally sell it too low.  I'll try to look for it too.

ironlord1963

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 10:02:09 pm »
   Oh I will be looking into it for sure,  This is just a fresh find.  Basically I process my items first.  I first take picture make a index card for it "For Notes", then I spend a certain amount of time researching it, add it too my turbo lister, and post.  I currently have well over 2000 items that I have picked up, I try and go through at least 25 new items a month, would like to do more but still have my day job.  So much stuff that sometimes I have to just research for only a few minutes, but on a item like this I will spend 1/2 hr. at least.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 10:38:13 pm »
I happen to have several Fenton books. This could be Hobnail Cranberry Opalescent CR I also own some of these peices. I'll keep checking.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:52:07 pm by greenacres »
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 07:38:53 am »
Beautiful find Ironlord!!    I just found this great video on you tube of a Fenton factory tour , from watching it I can not see how nails could accidentally have fallen into a mold and would say these were placed in your piece deliberately.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3z03ElkUTI        
I did find this article about people making glass at Fenton and keeping what they created, could this have possibly been a way Fenton distinguished a piece made by a person who paid for this class???