Author Topic: Cranberry Hobnail with Nails...Literally  (Read 14469 times)

KevinB

• View Profile
Re: Cranberry Hobnail with Nails...Literally
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2011, 05:21:49 pm »
I have no clue if it was a Fenton but it looked alot like yours. I remember why my grandfather said the nails were put inside. He explained that the nails were put inside as an early anti theft system. That the company was afraid of empoyees stealing the pieces and selling the design to the competition before they could go into production. The nails would set off metal detectors located at the door where the pieces were stored and possibly at the exits to the building. I'm trying to remember how he aquired the one he had. I think he knew someone important that worked at the place and they gave it to him as a gift. When I get a chance I will go through old photos to see if its somewhere in the background and I will ask my aunts what happened to it or if they remember any more info about it.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2011, 11:26:16 pm »
Thank you KevinB for solving this mystery. I've been following this along and was really curious since I've never since it before.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 01:00:56 am »
I'm just glad I could actually contribute something useful here. ;D I feel like such a freeloader all the things I've been learning from everyone else.

My grandfather told me his was one that didn't go into production instead they produced one just like it with a different rim.

So what would be better if you had a one of a kind variation that never went into production?
Or if it went into production but you had the first one made?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 11:39:06 am »
Isn't that cranberry opalescent glass Ironlord as well?  http://www.rubylane.com/item/686555-08102113/Fenton-Cranberry-Hobnail-Opalescent-Vase
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:41:36 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 12:04:16 pm »
    yea that would be cranberry opalescent Glass

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 01:20:10 pm »
I got more of the story. My grandfather became fishing buddies with a young man that ended up becoming a famous glass artist and designer. His buddy was hired to do some designs for Fenton in the 80's and one of the Fentons gave him the vase with the nails in it as a personal gift. My grandfathers friend would stop in and check on him once in awhile and one time he gave him the vase. I am going to contact my grandfathers friend (the artist) to verify the story of the nails.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2011, 02:06:30 pm »
Very cool Kevin!! 
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 04:39:29 pm »
WOW!!  That is an awesome story, Kevin!  And it's amazing that you are on this forum and I have this piece and we are able to communicate about it!  I have explored many avenues to try and figure out the story about this, so I'm so happy that you read this thread!  Do you know the name of the glass designer your grandfather was buddies with?  And out of curiousity, does your grandfather still have that vase?  Do you know what coloring it was?  SO cool!  Thank you so much for sharing this with us...keep us updated!  ;D  I'm still really curious about who made the nails in the vases, how many there were, and really anything else about it!

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »
 If my grandfather didn't use the vase with the nails to mess with me I would of never taken notice to it. The real amazing part is that someone like me who knows so little about antiques and collectibles would be able to tell you why nails would be sealed in your vase. Also pretty good timing when I joined the forum. lol

I remember the glass designers first name and I'm pretty certain I found the right person. He was the only glass designer I could find from the area that did design work for Fenton around the time my grandfather got the vase. I think I better wait until I get a response confirming it was him before I put his name out there on a forum. I don't believe he had anything to do with the vase that was given to him. I think that was just an extra thank you from the owners and I think they were also making room for renovations or something like that.

My grandfather passed away in the mid 90's. I don't remember the coloring that good but I think it was pretty close to your vase. My grandmother passed away also so I don't know who has it now. If it didn't get sold or broken its still in the family and wont be too hard to track down.

I'll make sure I find out anything I can about it for you.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 06:15:59 pm »
If my grandfather didn't use the vase with the nails to mess with me I would of never taken notice to it. The real amazing part is that someone like me who knows so little about antiques and collectibles would be able to tell you why nails would be sealed in your vase. Also pretty good timing when I joined the forum. lol
Right, that's exactly what I was thinking!  What are the chances?  At first I was skeptical...thinkin g either it was a totally different glass maker or maybe even you were messing with me (no offense, but you know, you were a newer member and the forum is anonymous basically and all that...sorry!  It's only because I've been accused of being too gullable in the past!)  :-[  But now I'm starting to come around and get really excited!

I remember the glass designers first name and I'm pretty certain I found the right person. He was the only glass designer I could find from the area that did design work for Fenton around the time my grandfather got the vase. I think I better wait until I get a response confirming it was him before I put his name out there on a forum. I don't believe he had anything to do with the vase that was given to him. I think that was just an extra thank you from the owners and I think they were also making room for renovations or something like that.
Oh, okay, I totally understand!  If you do get in touch with him, could you ask him which of the Fentons gave him the vase, and what they told him about it?  Yay!

My grandfather passed away in the mid 90's. I don't remember the coloring that good but I think it was pretty close to your vase. My grandmother passed away also so I don't know who has it now. If it didn't get sold or broken its still in the family and wont be too hard to track down.

I'll make sure I find out anything I can about it for you.

I am sorry to hear about your grandparents' passing.  Thank you for being willing to contact the glass designer friend!  The reason I asked if the vase was still in your grandfather's possession is because I'm wondering if I may have the one your grandfather once had (that would be entirely amazing), or if there were multiple ones produced.  Your grandparents didn't live in PA, did they?  Then again, it could have changed hands multiple times...

KevinB

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2011, 07:28:26 pm »
I know there were more than one with nails and it was for security reasons like I said. They were new designs waiting for approval before they went into production.

I do love messing with people but I'm not messing with anyone here. I dont know you all well enough.

The thought has crossed my mind that you might actually have the same exact one but I know they made more than one with nails. I remember hearing about the proccess for putting the nails inside but I dont remember everything about it. I just know the person that had to do it was not happy because the difference in cooling rates between the nails and the glass caused quite a few broken pieces.

Yes my grandparents were from PA.