Author Topic: Can you help identify this....!  (Read 6010 times)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help identify this....!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 01:31:37 pm »
What's interesting...the bottom pic looks like the "handle" has a place for mounting which the other pics don't!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 02:02:09 pm »
It does have a hole but it couldn`t be used to mount or you couldn`t unlatch it !!  I didn`t notice that hole but that would tell that it  would be on the topside !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 03:05:53 pm »
I did ask my friend about it and he didn't know off hand. I am sure he'll dwell on it a bit.
Good catch, mart (the topside). This is going to bother me. I just have to know what it is!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 04:32:07 am »
Those two (2) thingys are …. permanently mounted “quick-release” compression clamps.

They are mounted either in a vertical position with the hinged end at the top, … or at any angle down to a horizontal position. They are mounted by placing the “arm” with a hole in its center onto a steel “stud”, with the “stud” in the hole of the “arm”, and then the bolt was tightened which squeezed the “arm” tightly around the steel “stud”, thus firmly affixing the clamp in place.

To mount the clamp in any other position than describe above would make it extremely cumbersome to operate, …. like maybe the use of at least three (3) hands.

Whatever the clamp was meant to hold would be placed against or on the firmly affixed “arm” and then the hinged “arm” would be swung over top of it. Then the “quick release” handle would be swung up over the ends of the “arms” and snapped into place, thus firmly holding whatever was placed inside the clamp. Similar types of “quick-release” compression clamps were/are used on doors, lids, etc., such as the old “steamer” trunks.

And given the fact that those clamps are made of cast iron ….. then they have been around for quite a long time …… and whatever they were used on/for is most probably long gone. One might check old photographs of farming machines/equipment, old firefighting pumpers, wagons, engines, etc., ….. or etc., ….. for one of those clamps being used to hold an “item” in a handy place to get to.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 04:44:04 am »
About time you got in on this one Cogar !!  I thought it might have been for a fire extinguisher,, hose would lay over the top and down through the round sections on the sides,, like a vaccum cleaner hose !!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 09:07:09 am »
I can finally sleep knowing they have a name! Can't wait to tell my friend, maybe he will recall them now.

hudsonhacker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 11:15:37 am »
They use much smaller versions of those today in aircraft to hold cabling and hydraulic tubing. Maybe these were used on a ship?