Author Topic: Can you help identify this....!  (Read 6013 times)

Lilbigfoot

• View Profile
Can you help identify this....!
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:57:01 pm »

Hello....a neighbour brought this item over to me cause I'm probably the oldest guy on the block. He doesn't know what it is. I don't either. There's a pair of them. Seems to have a mounting hole on one side. No markings on them. Any one help us out? Thanks. Don

This photo shows item turned over. Object is about 9 inches long and the center opening is about 2 inches top to bottom.

fancypants

• View Profile
Re: Can you help identify this....!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:14:52 pm »
My first guess would be that perhaps this cool old thing could be a combo - stationary mount/holder for a footladder .

Perhaps it also could be used as a bench-mounted bundling device ??

Let's see what some more members chime in with (hopefully a 'right' answer) !
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

bob535

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 05:37:42 pm »
This is way out of my league, but my first thought was maybe a rifle wall mount.  ;D

Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 07:36:11 pm »
My first thought was some sort of handcuff or finger cuff.  Then I thought perhaps some sort of tightener for those strap thingies that go around bucking horses when you ride them and want to keep your hands tied down tight...but really, I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about.  I just have a very colorful imagination.

Cole~

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »
   I'm starting to like the gun ideal, but may a work bence clamp for working or making Guns.  Looks like it has two different sized round Clamps and on that appears to be about the size of a Gun but in the middle, also appears to be able to slide to different postions once it was mounted to a table.  I'm about the worst of these what is it games, but thought I would throw in my ideal based on the gun mount.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:27:46 pm »
The closing reminds me of a suspender closing. Use of that was to change the tightness of something. Maybe it has something to do with a hoist. It would attach to the wall and the rope would feed through.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »
Wish I could help...even asked my husband who knows all these handy contraptions, but no dice.  Good luck!  This is a shot in the dark but it kind of looks like something that might be around a stable or blacksmith's.  But that's just a guess.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:54:30 pm »
May I ask general area you live?  Area of country?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 04:04:09 am »
This is driving me crazy! Something to do with cars/engines? That might explain the mounting holes. Hose clamp of some sort? No clue. I'm trying to imagine the inside shape and what it could hold...
By the way, Cole cracked me up. :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:05:44 am by hosman321 »

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:15 am »
I can't wait to find out what this is! I bought an old tool this summer for some type of carving but had no idea what it really was. An elderly  gentleman that lives on our street used to be a carpenter back in the day and told me it was used to carve wooden wheel spokes. If I see him over the next few days, I'll ask him if he has any idea.

Lilbigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 06:48:57 pm »
May I ask general area you live?  Area of country?

Thanks to you and all those who've replied so far. I'm in London, Ontario, Canada.

I put the same question up on a Knife Forum I belong to and no one there knows what it is either.

Lilbigfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 06:53:53 pm »
Another point.....inside the larger loop....that's a hard rubber liner. Remember, there's a pair of them.

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:44:31 am »
inside the larger loop....that's a hard rubber liner

Ah so, and given that center bolt thru the slotted opening, it could very well be a permanently mounted "hose clamp" that was made for easily changing or replacing said hoses. 

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 08:47:29 am »
I'm probably way off, but I keep looking up old equipment used for horses or farming. I have the day off so I will go see my friend if he is home.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 09:58:00 am »
It is not used with a horse, nothing on our antique tractors that looks similar !! Its possible that it was a wall mount for a fire extinguisher !! But the bottom bolt tightens the opening so it would have to go over a round shape and the bolt tightened around it,,,so I am not sure about that !!