Author Topic: Question about crazing  (Read 4057 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Question about crazing
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:19:32 pm »
Ok as a beginner in all this I was not familiar with the term "crazing" or what it meant.  I have since learned that.  Does crazing always deplete the value of something - in my particular instance a first edition Hummel plate?  Once something has shown crazing - does it continue to get worse?

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Question about crazing
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:28:08 pm »
Ok and what causes crazing in the first place?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »
    For the most part minor glaze grazing is accepted with older pieces, early century and before, but if mid century well not so much.  Grazing is cause mostly by modern dishwashers, old pieces was not meant to be put through the Hot and cold of these machines of evil  ;).  Of course when dishwasher first showed up and we began to get a bit lazy, we tossed our fine china in them and pretty much ruin them.  Basically Grazing is created from Hot to Cold.  Even putting a dish on a window sill will have the same effect.  Some mid century Items like Homer lauglin stuff it is pretty hard to find a piece that does not have this grazing.  Does it continue, I think it will if it is subject ot hot and cold temps.

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »
Thank you Ironlord - this plate was never taken out of the box or displayed.  I sold it on Ebay and it is being returned because of this.  I had not even noticed it and it doesn't show in any of the pics I took but will have to look it over closer when I get it back.  All I can think of is she had it stored in a closet which might have been colder in the winter and hot as heck in the summer.  Guess that is possible.  Ok this person stated it as crazing and you called it grazing.  Is it one in the same or is grazing the correct term?  And I am guessing those are the little crack like lines that show up?

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:45:51 pm »
Sorry Crazing, I fill silly I have been calling it grazing for years  :-\

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »
LOL  ok thanks - be silly - makes life a little more enjoyable   ;D

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:21 pm »
I agree with Ironlord, it's more acceptable in the earlier pieces.  I always mention it if I find any because certain eBayers, and especially collectors, can be super picky about flaws, whether natural or acquired.  I've had glassware returned for a bubble on the inside bottom of a non-translucent piece that you'd practically need a microscope to see.  It's a small percentage of people in my experience that make these kinds of returns, but it's extremely annoying nonetheless and has caused me to rewrite my disclaimers about antique & vintage items umpteen times.  Sometimes I want to say, "if you spent that $ at Wal-Mart for a packaged jewelry box made in China, or at Big Lots for a mass-produced vase, do you think it would be flawless?  So why do you expect a decades-old delicate pottery piece to be?  And which one do you think will fall apart faster?"

Crazing is different from cracks; crazing is to the glaze itself and caused by stressors (age, temperature changes, a variety of things) that the glaze can't handle.  It doesn't affect the piece's ability to support a load, whereas cracks do.  It is usally uniform throughout the piece and not just in one place.  There is more good info on wikipedia about crazing:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazing

Just try to disclose that there is crazing if you find it and are selling the piece(s).

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 04:12:41 am »
Thanks   ;D  I will definitely look at pieces much more closely.  I honestly hadn't noticed it and can't see it in the pictures at all so I am assuming it is minimal.  Either way, now that I understand what it is I will make sure I look for it and note it when listing something.  Yes this buyer is apparently a dealer - stated that he buys to re-sell and wouldn't be able to re-sell it for a profit.  He did get it for a pretty low bid too.  That's ok - this is how I learn I suppose.  Oh and no there are no cracks in the plate itself, i meant cracks in the glaze   8)

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 10:49:58 am »
Here's a photo example of crazing from one of my family dishes. This one dates to September 10th, of 1871 (I love those British registration marks!) I have seen these pieces in this same condition priced at $250 in a retail shop, with this amount of crazing, which is expected on a piece of this age. The price of your piece should not be affected much by crazing as long as it hasn't been run through the dishwasher and become waterstained in the cracks like Ironlord mentioned.

Antiqueaholic in recovery

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 06:44:09 pm »
Thank you Tales - it is on its way back to me.  When I receive it I will look it over much more carefully and try to get pics that capture any crazing.  Yes I now know what it is but saw nothing like that upon my original inspection.  hmmmm

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:29:35 pm »
Glassware like that I always put "crazing consistant with age" in my description !! If an older piece doesn`t have some crazing,, I always think Repro !!  Who wants an antique that looks new ????

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »
I agree - this is not an antique piece but 40 year old first edition hummel plate - never displayed - left in box.  I didn't see anything like that on the plate but this guy says there is crazing on front and back.  nothing shows in pictures but maybe not enough light either.  Last thing I want to do is misrepresent something - that's why I keep learning and learning  LOL

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:33 am »
When you get it back,,post a pic !! Could be simply buyers remorse !!  He changed his mind and/or found the same one at cheaper price !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 03:50:49 pm »
Will do Mart - thanks   ::)