Author Topic: Ceramic/Pottery "Crinkle" Planter  (Read 4596 times)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
Ceramic/Pottery "Crinkle" Planter
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:52:30 pm »
I got this at an auction that had some nice pottery items, mostly ca. 1950s, all were marked with brands except for this one.  It's 8" long, on two legs.  Seems like some good thick clay and craze resisting glaze.  I say "crinkled" for lack of a better word...crinkled?  crackled?  I don't know what to call that "style," it looks like a stone wall or a piece of crumpled up paper.  Anyone recognize this style or know a possible manufacturer, or really anything?  Thanks!!

hosman321

• View Profile
Re: Ceramic/Pottery "Crinkle" Planter
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:56:22 pm »
Oh man, I know the name of this! I saw it made out of glass on antiques roadshow. What was it?! ??? Something with an "O"? Optix...Cubix? Cubitz? I gotta go look now!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:00:57 pm »
    I would call it Rock, seen a few of this style, can't remember The actual name.  At first glance sure looked like a Royal Copley, but usually their feet are not as tall.  But maybe look at the Royal Copley stuff, This would be considered a Window Planter, and Royal Copley is known for that.  I will have to dig up a pic of the bottom of Royal Copley stuff, These can be hot items.  Also this is for sure mid century pottery, and is very unique. 

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »
Here is the bottom of a Royal Copley item, see a piece of mid-century pottery and the bottom looks like this it would be a Royal Copley.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 09:15:58 pm »
Wow, thanks, hosman and ironlord!  That really helps, I'm on it...I'll be checkin'!  ;D

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:45:44 am »
Oh my gosh, I think I found it!!  This is a different color and slightly smaller version but it's McCoy:
http://www.backshedpickins.com/catalog.php?item=113

Calls it a McCoy 1969 Stone Planter.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:51:40 am »
Funny because I was searching for it for like an hour and finally got off-track looking at a cute little pottery animal and that's when I accidentally found it.  That happens to me so often lately...I'll be looking for one thing and accidentally find another.  ::)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 12:54:43 am »
Awesome job! The set of glasses on antiques roadshow are still driving me CRAZY. But I believe they were from about the 1940s.

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:59:33 am »
Awesome job! The set of glasses on antiques roadshow are still driving me CRAZY. But I believe they were from about the 1940s.

Thanks!  LOL...I tried searching for your Antique Roadshow "optix" "cubix" etc. but got stumped on that one, too  :)

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 01:01:49 am »
Looks like I'll be up all night. :) Oh wait...I stay up all night every night.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:55 am »

hosman321

• View Profile

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 01:22:02 am »
LOL!!  I'm up most of the nights, too.  There's a whole room of things calling "identify me!"  You weren't waaaay off, that is actually really similar, just in glass.  I can totally see why you would have thought of it.  That jewelry box is pretty but come on you can find a $7 version of that  ;)

GreenhornGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 01:40:35 am »
By the way, let's all be on the lookout for this McCoy Grapes Jar...according to Warman's it's a non-production piece worth $7,000+!  Makes me want to go the library tomorrow and check out some McCoy books and see if mine is a non-production piece, ha!  Well, it IS unmarked...I can't believe that person is selling theirs for $7.  There's only a few of that planter style out there for sale at all, and they're like all different colors or sizes, no two the same.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 05:06:07 am »
Hosman Tiffany did not produce the original ruba rombic but that piece is similar, have had an eye out for original ruba rombic for about 25 years and have never seen a piece in person!!! http://www.liveauctiontalk.com/free_article_detail.php?article_id=74

great Piece of pottery greenhorngirl!!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:10:11 am by wendy177 »