Author Topic: Victorian Scent Bottle  (Read 5780 times)

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
Victorian Scent Bottle
« on: September 10, 2011, 03:56:46 pm »
I did manage to find this on-line here:
http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/d-42061/antique-sterling-silverglassscent-perfume-bottle.html

When I went to the link to try and locate the seller to see if they knew any more about it, the listing was gone.
I'd love to know who made it and when.

Thanks in advance.

ETA size: 3 1/4 inches.

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Victorian Scent Bottle
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »
 Snowflake I believe your  bottle is English made around mid to late 1800s In this market maybe $200.00  if you could put a maker with your pieces the value could jump  $500.00 - $1,000.00 possibly Stuart & sons  of London .  Check the cap with a jewelers loop inside & out to look for  an English makers marks. Beautiful bottle!!!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:06:58 pm »
Thanks, Wendy! I wouldn't have guessed it would be worth that much. Still keeping it though.  :)
I fell in love with it the moment I found it. I will try to get my hands on the tool you mention and let you know if I come up with anything.

I really appreciate your input.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:44:24 pm »
I would keep it too!!! Do NOT polish the  silver cap !!!!!!! Let us know if you find any marks.

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »
You wouldn't worry about me polishing the silver if you knew me. I have loads of it and every bit of it is tarnished (some so bad I am embarrassed about it). I just can't be bothered and stuff it away in the cupboard. I used to clean the coffee/tea set to use every Christmas. Not anymore.  :-[

I do hope if find some kind of maker. I'll be sure to let you know if I do.

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 08:32:50 am »
Nice piece snowflake!  I'm a little envious   ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:32 am »
Thanks, Oceans! I was so happy to have found this. I wish I knew which family member it belonged to. Being that we bought the old family home everyone and their brother has lived here. It belonged to my husbands Great Grandparents. We were so lucky to have this collection of the past. To think no one was even interested in anything. Not even the photos!

Oceans64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 09:47:07 am »
If you dead end on the internet, there are lots of collectors books out there. My main library has several.  You may want to drop by your local branch and see (go to the largest in your area).  I have spent many cold, rainy Saturday's flipping through glass books there. Never much luck finding my stuff but it's a good way to get out of the house in the Winter  ;D
"In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these." — Paul Harvey

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 09:53:56 am »
I did go out and buy several used antique books. (Marks, guides, and specific types) I did find out a few things, but as you say, finding most thing I have is rare. The price guides seem to carry high end things the average person won't have hanging around the house. I agree! I think my winter will be taken up by learning about antiques!

ironlord1963

• View Profile
    • Ironlord's Treasure Chest
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 11:47:45 am »
    Being a snowflake I would think you would spend your summers in the Air condition Library to keep from melting, and your winters running around  ;D

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 12:31:19 pm »
That was so funny, Ironlord!  Thanks. I always love a good laugh.  ;D

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 09:54:18 pm »
:)  LOL
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

snowflake

• View Profile
    • The Flutter Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 10:21:48 pm »
I tried to find the post where we were showing the perfume bottles and couldn't. Here are a few more of mine. Have to get the other ones out this week.

JoshandLila

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 05:28:39 am »
that reminds me of one of those Victorian tear bottles ( not sure of the proper name ) that you'd fill with your tears at a funeral and then empty on the grave a year later.. beautiful piece  :)
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

srchn4trezr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:50 am »
Hey everyone.  Beautiful bottle, I love it and would not polish it either.  I noticed that someone mentioned having tarnished silver.  I have found the easiest way, not labor intensive at all, way to take care of this.  It sounds crazy, but works like magic.  Line a pot or dish with tin foil.  Spread a fair amount of baking soda on top of the tin foil, then pour on hot water ( I usually let the water almost boil in a different pot ).  Just put your silver in and wait.  Then, just rinse and dry.  The baking soda reacts with the tin foil and cleans like I've never seen before.  I did this on an entire tea set with no rough polishing.  Just so you know, as it cleans, it gives off a stinky odor, but definitely worth it!